How long would a 125 gallon tank last me?

CsAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2021
Hi I’m posting this because I’ve become addicted to the idea of getting a mata mata turtle. I’d like to get the turtle at around 4 inches and I have a 125 gallon I know this won’t last forever I plan on building my own aquarium for it at some point in the future but I’d like to know how long I could get out of the 125 till then. Thank you!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Welcome abroad! I don't recommend to get the turtle until you actually have the larger tank.
Otherwise, no matter how much you intend to get the larger tank, things can easily happen to make it untenable and then the turtle will suffer.

Reactions: Randles

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Welcome abroad! I don't recommend to get the turtle until you actually have the larger tank.
Otherwise, no matter how much you intend to get the larger tank, things can easily happen to make it untenable and then the turtle will suffer.
Mata will b fine in a 125 for 10 years or more. Thats a pretty long time. I dont see a problem. U can actually drown them in water deeper than their shell is long also. There not the greatest swimmers. You could keep one happily in a $10 kiddie pool for life. Theres tons of affordable options for enclosures cheaper than a 125 let alone the price of a mata. Y do u steer everyone away from owning anything?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Y do u steer everyone away from owning anything?
If that's the way you want to look at it, I can't stop you. But I am not trying to steer anyone away from owning anything with statements like that, I'm trying to help them ensure whatever pet it is they want to own gets the best care.

CsAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2021
Would a male mata mata really be able to live in a kiddie pool?? I’ve seen a video or two on it but the pools seem like massive. And I understand, I could get the adult enclosure right now but my parents wanted it to seem like it would fit inside the tank as it would be in our living room so I was going to start with the 125 and once it got a bit more sizable I was gonna move it into a custom 6 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot or someone was offering me a 220 gallon

CsAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2021
Thank you I’m going to cycle the 125 using guppies so that it has something to hunt and I’m going to start the process of ordering the driftwood to keep the ph around 5. Plan B is I convinced them to let me move it to a different room in a 300 gallon Rubbermaid bin

Reactions: tlindsey

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Relatively slow growers and they are not very active at all. You will get years out of the 120 and in fact I wouldn't put a small one in anything larger than that because as wednesday13 wednesday13 said, you can actually drown them.

CsAquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2021
Oh wow I read they were bad swimmers I didn’t realize it was that bad so would 6-7 inches of water be too much for a turtle of 4 inches??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store