How long...

neizzle

Feeder Fish
Jan 3, 2008
Maryland
I have my oscar and jack demsey in 2 buckets (each have their own) while I am changing from rock to sand... I am now waiting for the sand to settle, but how long can these fish comfortably stay in the buckets? I have put a bubble wand in each so that they receive oxygen, and both are filled with water from the tank (and put a dose of de-stressing chemicals in)

AquaPets

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
atlanta, GA
well they could live in there for few weeks.
as long no amonia, right temp. good PH then they all should be fine, you might not have to feed them to keep your water quality good. these cichlid are hardy and could survice without eat at least a month or 2.
hope could could share the photo with us after all your fish settle in the tank.

good luck.

deaddowg

Feeder Fish
Dec 10, 2007
scotland
I had to keep a couple of oscars in buckets after my brother dropped a piece of slate into my tank and cracked the bottom. i kept them in there for a wk while my tank was away getting repaird. They were a bit funny with each other when they met in the tank again.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
do they have a heater ? how big are they ?if there small you could keep them like that for a few weeks just change half the water every other day or so

neizzle

Feeder Fish
Jan 3, 2008
Maryland
Yup, I have 2 heaters for my big tank so I put one in each bucket to keep the temp right... the jack is maybe 2-3' and the oscar is 4-5' and both are in big buckets... thanks a lot for all the quick replies, I was worried I had only a few hours to fix up their 55 gallon :nilly:

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The sand only takes a day or two to settle. Once all the sand has been placed in, you COULD put the fish straight back in but I'd rather wait the extra day.

Make sure the bucket water is heated and well oxygenated. Do not feed them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store