How many, and tankmates

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
I'm going to order a 8x4x2.5 aquarium soon and want to grow some cichla out for it. I currently have a black aro, clown knife, oscar, common pleco for algea control, some bichirs. Would these be ok with cichla, and could I add say 5 cichla for said tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm going to order a 8x4x2.5 aquarium soon and want to grow some cichla out for it. I currently have a black aro, clown knife, oscar, common pleco for algea control, some bichirs. Would these be ok with cichla, and could I add say 5 cichla for said tank?
It probably would be ok but depends on the size and temperament of the fish. Even a aquarium that size when all the fish mature the aquarium will look tight.

Lahan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2020
Make sure that ur aro is larger than the cichla . I keep my 11 inch aro with 6 inch cichla .
The tank you ordered is not enough for all ur existing fish + the 5 cichla permanently , but its fine as a grow out tank.
Good luck!

Lahan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2020
It probably would be ok but depends on the size and temperament of the fish. Even a aquarium that size when all the fish mature the aquarium will look tight.
Orinos and azuls are the most aggressive in the cichla family in my exprience.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
IMO if your add bass the that mix of fish your going to have a hard time getting the food to the other tank Mates especially the bottom dwellers. The Aro is a crap shoot, It didn’t work out for me. I’ve seen a lot of Oscars with bass though.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
I can ditch the bichirs, the ck is extremely food aggressive, the aro I could see a possible problem with food. Is there a magic number to keeping cichla? Maybe I could do three bass. I've only kept pbass up to 6-8" in the past.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
They seem to do better in odd numbers 3,5,7

I can ditch the bichirs, the ck is extremely food aggressive, the aro I could see a possible problem with food. Is there a magic number to keeping cichla? Maybe I could do three bass. I've only kept pbass up to 6-8" in the past.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store