How many C. Regani in a 125?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Title more or less says it. I’m (continuesly) looking to set my 125 gallon tank back up and after ruling out large pike cichlids because of size and other stocking issues (severums, geos and probably some Denison barbs), I’m looking at dwarf pikes. Lfs has some regani in and they look fun, good color and patterns and all.

My question is, is it better to just go with a pair? I’ve seen videos of some pike cichlids in nature and I’ll see them in groups. Granted they have a lot more room to leave if they don’t get along, so I don’t know what the answer is.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Never kept them but done a lot of research and they seem to do fine in groups from what I’ve read, I would do 1m to 2f ratio if you were gonna go for a group

Reactions: Buphy

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Cr. regani are considered the least territorial of the commonly kept dwarf pikes (in both in literature and IME) but the most common race lately has been the Tapajos ones which have been noted to be more territorial than the 'classic' regani by people that have kept both.

That size tank could easily hold 2 pairs, possibly even 3 depending on sight breaks, cover, ect. Though, personally, I wouldn't try 3 pairs of Tapajos in that footprint.

Starting as a group isn't a bad idea, pikes aren't like convicts and don't often pair well when just two random fish are thrown together. Letting them pick their own mates is usually the better way to go.

Reactions: Buphy

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Thanks for the feedback guys! I still don’t move for 2 months and won’t set up till then, but I’m sure my lfs can get what I need in if they know it’ll be sold. Honestly I’d rather go online but I have $400 in store credit from when I took in my fish when I broke down my tanks last year to move.

Reactions: Bertie07
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store