how many different species of p-bass are there

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
I thought there was only two but i see that im wrong ,exactly how many are there ?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Cichla... ocellaris orinocensis temensis monoculus intermedia

5 of them.. i think... could be forgetting one, not sure if tunucare is a specie either.

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
the temensis are real cool do they lose thier spots at adulthood

DIESELMACK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2005
WorldWide
There are currently 5 recognized (valid) species, but there are alot more! which are to made into seperate species LIST later this year and published . there are so many variations within species and wild x-breeding that alot of pbass cannot be grouped into a particular catagory.Depending on the particular location that a pbass has been collected, whether it is a northern section of a river or the same but southern region the color/pattern can vary greatly even though they are both "temensis" per say. Just as alot of cichla newbies identify ocellaris with the "redeye"...all species of cichla can display "redeye" ...same goes for pattern ect... I can produce photos of monoculus, ocellaris, and others that all have redeye and multiple occelli....generally you cannot PIN a species until they reach a larger size...before that it is pretty much a guess....neal can vouch for this. Without getting too deep into variables ect... here is the listing for the current 5 valid species:
http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/CLOFFSCA.html
and tucunare is just another name for cichla temensis....read the above link and you will find other names given to them from brazil ect... :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store