How Many?

timjeric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
north dakota
hi Guppy thnks 4 the pics . i would like 6-8 fish those sound good size anything w / more color as long as they get along or at least tolerate each other also what do the fish you recommended do best on for food?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
driftwood said:
What Myth might that be? Are you referring to the driftwood used to soften the water? Thats not a myth.
SMACKED DOWN BY THE USER WITH THE VERY NAME!

anyway im referring to his allegations that the fish have different pH requirements, which is a regrettably-popular myth that the ignorant love to spread about

seighten

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
michigan
hmm... ok, before the out-n-out brawlin begins... my first impression from the substrate response was that he was asking because, for instance, using inert, gravel type substrates wont effect water quality but using things like crushed limestone, shell, etc will....

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Apocalypse said:
I'm not spreading a myth dude. geeeez :screwy:
But it is. African cichlids (of all types) thrive in the same parameters that American cichlids (and most other fish in general) do. As long as pH is between 6.5 and 8.5, one does not need to concern themself with the water's pH.

You obviously have not tried this setup for yourself, or learned from others in this area. Instead, you are spreading about a notorious fishkeeping myth. Hence, you are ignorant on this matter.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
MOST fish can live in a wide variety of water quality, especially if commercially raised or tank bred.

So it is the belief of many, including myself, that you should not tamper or buffer the water quality as it will be unstable and not 'consistant'.. and 'consistancy' is what will effect the outcome of the fish's well-being, not re-creating it's environment.

However, some fish are more sensative, and may require adjustments to the pH to better re-create natural environment.. Most of these fish are WILD-CAUGHT, and sensative.. Examples would be Apistos, Discus, Angelfish and any of the other 'sensative' fish that come from the low pH waters of the amazon.

Some fish require a re-created environment in order to trigger spawning, but unless this is your intention, it is a waste of time, money, and energy and can cause stress on your fish by creating a 'rollercoaster' of water paramaters.. Unless you are tedious enough to match water paramaters every time, every water change, which is again, a waste of time and effort, especially for larger tanks.

So before we go around calling each other names, perhaps we should solidify our points with evidence first, rather then just rambling off comments that others may be un-educated about.. Which would then lead to defensive statements, including childish name-calling.

The amount of time you have kept fish has nothing to do with how well you are at it, or how educated you are.. You could of been keeping fish for 40 years, but 39 of them you kept an oscar in a 10g with an undergravel filter.. Does it make you a master? Nope.. Good thing you found MFK where you can get the advice of many, not just what the guy at the LFS 'promises' is the truth.

Miles

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
As for the fish.. it's tough to find 6-8 large 'colorful' fish for a tank of that size.. Most of the ones I would suggest, or have been suggested, are silvery in coloration..

Perhaps a South American Cichlid tank with a variety of smaller, more colorful cichlids?

Could go the semi-aggressive/peaceful route.. get yourself a school of 6 Jurupari and a group of 6 Angelfish.. Compliment them with a school of corys and larger tetras, and perhaps a butterfly fish or two to dwell along the top of the water.

Or perhaps if you could find yourself some of the rarer 'Firemouth' species, or maybe just some nicely colored firemouths.. They stay small.. Mix them with some Severums as they will likely fill the top space, and if you can find a few nice golds with red-necks, or perhaps some red-neck heckel severums, they would be awesome.

If you could find some Honduran Convict Cichlids, or maybe Salvini depending on what route your aggression level goes.. All of these are somewhat colorful fish, that will become large and focal.. Just make sure to buy your cichlids in a group when they are very small, and let them grow up togethor.

I would go with some red-neck severums and Jurupari or Firemouth if I was you.. You could later add other oddballs possibly, such as a polypterus, or even temporarily house an arowana..

Heres a pic of the red-neck severums, I am working on getting some in!

FishTrip 093.jpg

FishTrip 094.jpg

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Miles said:
MOST fish can live in a wide variety of water quality, especially if commercially raised or tank bred.

So it is the belief of many, including myself, that you should not tamper or buffer the water quality as it will be unstable and not 'consistant'.. and 'consistancy' is what will effect the outcome of the fish's well-being, not re-creating it's environment.

However, some fish are more sensative, and may require adjustments to the pH to better re-create natural environment.. Most of these fish are WILD-CAUGHT, and sensative.. Examples would be Apistos, Discus, Angelfish and any of the other 'sensative' fish that come from the low pH waters of the amazon.

Some fish require a re-created environment in order to trigger spawning, but unless this is your intention, it is a waste of time, money, and energy and can cause stress on your fish by creating a 'rollercoaster' of water paramaters.. Unless you are tedious enough to match water paramaters every time, every water change, which is again, a waste of time and effort, especially for larger tanks.

So before we go around calling each other names, perhaps we should solidify our points with evidence first, rather then just rambling off comments that others may be un-educated about.. Which would then lead to defensive statements, including childish name-calling.

The amount of time you have kept fish has nothing to do with how well you are at it, or how educated you are.. You could of been keeping fish for 40 years, but 39 of them you kept an oscar in a 10g with an undergravel filter.. Does it make you a master? Nope.. Good thing you found MFK where you can get the advice of many, not just what the guy at the LFS 'promises' is the truth.

Miles
Yes I agree with you, it doesnt matter how long you'v kept fish, what you have or what you know, it's what you learn from other people that you didnt know before, you should always get your facts first. Everything doesnt work for everyone, doesnt make it right or wrong.
You can have C/SA and Africans w/e all in the same PH in the same tank...it can work if you check everything and try to find a neutral balance between the types of fish. I have done it before with 100% NO problems.... it worked fine for me, thats just my own experience. As opposed to my friend who has tried this, and it did not work so well, it just depends on what you know/learned. No one is an all mighty fish god, so dont fight over stupid stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store