How much does it cost to run an air pump and a fluval fx6?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was wondering about filtration and how much it would cost, for an air pump I was wondering how much it would cost by doing it with an air compressor and having sponge filters and I was wondering how much it would cost to run one fluval fx6 (or a similar canister filter), I just want to know for the future so I could find some way to save money on that

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You could ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. It all depends on how much electricity it uses and how much your electricity company charges per x amount if electricity. If you're a person that uses solar energy then it's free lol.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
You could ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. It all depends on how much electricity it uses and how much your electricity company charges per x amount if electricity. If you're a person that uses solar energy then it's free lol.
wouldn't solar panels only produce so much or does it produce more than enough for that

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'm not going into detail about solar panels but I will say this. They're too expensive for you at the moment and it takes years for them to pay for themselves.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I was wondering about filtration and how much it would cost, for an air pump I was wondering how much it would cost by doing it with an air compressor and having sponge filters and I was wondering how much it would cost to run one fluval fx6 (or a similar canister filter), I just want to know for the future so I could find some way to save money on that

The FX 6 uses about 45 watts, 24 hours a day, 31 days/month that would be 33.5kwh. Assuming you're in the US it looks like the average electricity price is $.12/kwh. So about $4/month.

An air pump only uses a few watts. Let's say 5, that's about $.45 cents worth of electricity.

If you wanted to try and run the FX6 with solar panels you'd probably need at least one big deep cycle battery , Maybe 300 watts of panels to make sure you can survive rainy days, a good charge controller and sine wave inverter. Probably looking at optimistically $500+ if you include mounting parts for the panels outside. That's a payback period of 10 years.

You'll likely need to replace the battery at least once over that period, so probably more like 15. And that's optimistic.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Very good answer TwoHedWlf TwoHedWlf do you have or research solar panels?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Don't know FX6, but my FX4 uses 30 watts an hour, my Ehiem air pump uses 4 watts an hour, so 34 watts an hour for both half of a standard incandescent light bulb.

Last month, no house A.C. running 3 tanks
1) 85 watts an hour to run (fx4,ac110,airpump, led light)
2) 69+ watts an hour to run (fx4,ac110,airpump) +two 3ft T8 lights don't know thier usage
3) 55 watts (2xac50,airpump,led light)
and normal house hold usage (fridge,stove,washer,dryer) my electric usage 383kw@8.1cents per kw

Single person usage, more people in the house more power will be used.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'll be able to give you an answer myself in about a year when I get an fx6 myself lol.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
The FX 6 uses about 45 watts, 24 hours a day, 31 days/month that would be 33.5kwh. Assuming you're in the US it looks like the average electricity price is $.12/kwh. So about $4/month.

An air pump only uses a few watts. Let's say 5, that's about $.45 cents worth of electricity.

If you wanted to try and run the FX6 with solar panels you'd probably need at least one big deep cycle battery , Maybe 300 watts of panels to make sure you can survive rainy days, a good charge controller and sine wave inverter. Probably looking at optimistically $500+ if you include mounting parts for the panels outside. That's a payback period of 10 years.

You'll likely need to replace the battery at least once over that period, so probably more like 15. And that's optimistic.
hmmmmmm, yeah, depending on what it is I might just be better off not getting panels, I didn't know a fluval fx6 would only cost $50 to run per year, I expected it to be way higher or something because my parents complain about the electricity and water bill being so high from doing water changes and my pumps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store