How much flow can a sump drip plate handle?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Was wondering if a 14”x12” drip plate can handle two 1.5” drains. Is there a way or formula to calculate the flow,

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
You could probably come up with something figuring the surface area of a drip hole and the vecosity of water and the surface tension of water and multiply it by the number of holes....

But if it were me I would just connect it up and see if it works. If the drip plate can't keep up with the flow.... drill more holes, it is just acrylic. Just make sure the drip plat is fully supported while drilling by putting it on a piece of wood... to prevent cracking the acrylic.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishNCash

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
There is a formula to figure out gph, cant remember what it is though.

tarheel96 tarheel96

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Found it on google

Write down this time; for example, let's say the pump filled the gallon container in 15 seconds.
  1. Divide the timed rate by 60 to find the gallons per minute rate: 60 divided by 15 = 4.
  2. Multiply the gallon per minute rate by 60 to find the gph rate: 4 x 60 = 240 gph.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
You could probably come up with something figuring the surface area of a drip hole and the vecosity of water and the surface tension of water and multiply it by the number of holes....

But if it were me I would just connect it up and see if it works. If the drip plate can't keep up with the flow.... drill more holes, it is just acrylic. Just make sure the drip plat is fully supported while drilling by putting it on a piece of wood... to prevent cracking the acrylic.
P.S. A brad point drill bit (a couple bucks at Harbor freight) will be much less likely to crack the drip plate than a common chisel point drill bit!

Brad point - Brad point - Chisel point - Chisel point - Nipple point.

Last edited:

gasser

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Oklahoma
For enlarging holes in plastic I prefer to use a nice step bit. Never had an issue with one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store