How much room is needed?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'm about to undergo a few changes which will allow me to take full advantage of the third tier of a rack I have, the only issue is that the top of the top tank would leave only 6 inches for me to get to. That's 6 inches from top of tank to ceiling. I could downgrade it to a 40 breeder and get 11 inches. Do yall think that 6 inches is able to be worked in?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Is that with 6 inches of space or 11 inches?

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
11" of space isn't a lot either, never mind 6". Add into the equation you're at ceiling level, and it all becomes a little dangerous too if you're up there on rickety old step ladders.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Who said anything about a rickety old step ladder? I do have a sturdy step ladder in mind but if it comes down to it I can always set up a little step up area made out of cinder blocks. A bit of a pain to set up and move out of the way but I’ll come up with a way to make it easy to move them. Perhaps I’ll bind them together in rows with rope.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well we all have our hurdles to get over in this hobby. And we always find a way, that's what true dedicated fish keepers do. Sounds like you're going to find a solution to your racking dilemma just fine.

But please, promise me you won't tie a load of blocks together with rope. That is just mad :duh:

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I think we might be thinking of different things, or we might not, we will see.
I shall paint you a mental picture.
First you put down a 3 blocks long and 3 blocks wide section.
Second you put a 3 blocks long and 2 blocks wide section on top of the first layer.
Now you put a 3 blocks long and 1 block wide section on top of the second layer.
It makes a nice 3 step little area.

Now, I could tie them together vertically or horizontally. Either way I would still be moving the same amount of blocks, just in a different shape.

I could always custom made a step stool and over design it so that there is no chance of anything happening. It just so happens I’m learning to weld so I could possibly make it out of metal. Perhaps I combine metal and cinder blocks? Metal to make it light and sturdy while the cinder blocks keep it grounded while at the same time able to be taken out with ease.
Sorry, I got a bit excited haha.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Why don't you ask a lady if they prefer 6 or 11 inches to work with..........

Seriously, can you drop the height of the rack somehow? If you are changing things it might be possible, if not I think the 6 inch gap will be too small unless you have a bare tank with just fish and only need to do water changes and vacuum etc. even then it will be awkward.
Be careful too, sounds like you may be taking a fall if you aren't careful. Save the risk and buy a new step ladder if you need extra height. No home made contraptions.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I won’t bother to comment on that first comment.

I said this was a three tier rack and I said I was wanting to utilize the top tier which means I’m already using the bottom two. The bottom two tiers each have a 75 gallon. Those two 75 gallons each have a lot of heigth. The heigth taken up by the two 75 gallons leaves not a lot of space for the top tier when I have it arranged so I can work on the two tanks.

To make it short, I can not lower the rack.

I have a step ladder that I trust to do the job, I just wanted to get a bit creative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store