How much to feed pacu?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I’d love to see pictures of your setup. Those are Defintely grown out pacus
They’re tetras, it’ll be tough to keep nitrates down and keep hogs like that fed in most scenarios

Reactions: Deadeye

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
They are certainly mostly vegetarians (and a little of everything else), so frozen veggies is good, potentially miixed with any of a number of animal protein (insect or worm). Grapes are good a treat, but not as a staple food, as they are mostly water, some cellulose and very little else.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I would say you should be able to feed two families of 5 each off that size pacu. :ROFL:

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
My nitrates are always so bad and my pacu are kinda fat
High nitrates - you need to up the frequency and amount of water changes to keep nitrates low. A larger tank could help with the nitrates--dilution of the pollution. Feeding them several times a week instead of daily could also help. Keep in mind that pacu are extremely messy eaters. Feeding table food tends to foul up the water a lot more than feeding a veggie/algae wafer that is inhaled without chewing.

BTW, pacu are characins.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Pacus are part of the serrasalmidae family, which includes piranhas, silver dollars, and pacus.

bridget1476

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2021
UPDATE: I was a dumbass and didn't know my boyfriend has also been feeding them. they get about 3 grapes each and one piece of lettace in the morning. In the evening they get a good chunk of frozen (homade using king of diy's recipie(re doing the recipie to include more greens)) and 2 algae wafers each (fav food)

Got the nitrates under control by feeding less messy food (bananas) and not by feeding less

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store