How my poly made it.. idk

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
This is just a short story regarding a stressful situation I've encountered over the past 5 days. About a ornate polly that survived hell.

5 days ago I made a online purchase for my first polypterus. The shipper told me the price for shipping and I was turned off by it, as it was the price of the fish itself. I wanted to explore other options and landed on USPS 2-3 day priority mail.
2 days went by and I started getting panicky, I started tracking the packedge and saw the status said it was arriving late and the estimated date was 6 days from the purchase date. My heart dropped. I started calling post offices seeing if it was close enough to drive myself. That was not a option. How ever my local post office assured they would call me when the packedge was in so I could retrieve myself instead of waiting the value able time for delivery.
Today, on the 5th day I finally got a call that my packedge was in.... but the lady on the phone said how ever the box is very wet and it feels almost empty, my heart dropped again. I raced to the post office about 7 minutes away ran inside grabbed the box and omw home I went.

Panicking I couldn't wait, so I cut the box open while driving and inside was a styrofoam container, once opening the styrofoam container a terrible smell came out, and I saw a water less bag, with a beautiful 9-10 polypterus ornatipinnis motionless with but a splash of brown water. Again my heart sank, so I gave the little guy a slight squeeze and he squirmed!!! Pedal to the floor and off I went to my home where I opened the box again and observed maybe a splash of brown water In the bag, maybe enough to keep him we, I immediately turn all lights off in my tank room and gently got him into his bucket where I drip acclimated him for a little over a hour.
I realised him into the tank amd observed very heavy breathing, he has now settled down and his breathing has slowed down to about normal. It's still under the 24 hour mark so I'll update this I guess in a few days.
Mindful the shipper was in contact with me everyday and still has been. Here's a few pictures

20200410_125716.jpg

20200410_115718.jpg

20200410_115703.jpg

received_262787614885460.jpeg

received_529337344432556.jpeg

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That's fantastic news, so chuffed for you that the little fella is making good progress after an awful ordeal. They say polys are as tough as old boots, I guess there's some truth in that!

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
Lmao no water no worries ?
But hey thanks guys seriously!
I was doing some reading in between the times of purchase and arrival, and I read some things that mentioned polypterus dating back to the triassic period 250 million years ago, that they can inhabit poor water conditions and low oxygenated water, have been known to somtimes make it 2-3 hours out of water. And after my situation I'd say it's a good reminder is to why the species have made it this far. His breathing has slowed down to almost normal And he is moseying around the tank. Fingers still crossed
Got to come up with a name for the strong survivor

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Lmao no water no worries ?
But hey thanks guys seriously!
I was doing some reading in between the times of purchase and arrival, and I read some things that mentioned polypterus dating back to the triassic period 250 million years ago, that they can inhabit poor water conditions and low oxygenated water, have been known to somtimes make it 2-3 hours out of water. And after my situation I'd say it's a good reminder is to why the species have made it this far. His breathing has slowed down to almost normal And he is moseying around the tank. Fingers still crossed
Got to come up with a name for the strong survivor
Yes that is why Petsmart calls them Dinosaur Eels lol very primitive indeed.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
That's awesome it made it this far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store