how often do canisters fail?

TimTheWiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2015
Southeast CT
I thought I was set on a Fluval FX6 for my new 92 gallon cichlid tank but then started reading lots of scary reviews on Amazon with bad seals and faulty parts. Is this really that common. Would I be safer off with a sump setup?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After trying a number of canisters years back, having them fail, and finding out they were very user "Un"-friendly to clean. I refuse to ever use them again.
I much prefer the ease of a sumps maintenance, and or, even hang a on the back filter.
I don't see anything magical that a pressurized can, can do, that any other filter can't do just as well, without the hassle.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Completely agree with duanes duanes . A sump might take a little more work initially, but is much easier to maintain in the long run. For smaller tanks I'm a big fan of Aquaclear HOB's. Dependable and user friendly. I ran a 120 gallon with two AC110's for years.

Reactions: D. Nadalin

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I've been using canister (successfully I might add) since 1989-90 or so.

First canister: Magnum 330

I have either been blessed(fingers crossed, don't want to tempt fate) or alot of the issues people have a related to not paying attention to what they are doing and not having common sense.

When I clean my cans, I take a minimum of an hour, because I always grease the seals(always have), after FIRST cleaning the seals(orings), and the canister and various parts(impeller/motor/media). In addition, I only clean mine every 3-6 months, and my nitrates generally stay at 30-40 with weekly 50% water changes.

I see people say, "oh I can clean my FX6 in 15-20 minutes, it's not hard", and then you see (alot of times/not always) those same people having issues down the road, because they were in a hurry, not paying attention to detail, over tightening lids, seals not cleaned and greased, etc.

I actually enjoy cleaning my canisters most of the time, but then again I have a VERY VERY stressful management/engineering career in IT, and actually therefore enjoy mundane non-technical tasks sometimes. I think of it as something I can CONTROL more or less if I just take my time.

That said, I personally have only had(knock on wood) one actual failure/flaw, and that was a SunSun304B that developed a hairline crack in the lower canister itself, but it merely "seeped" a drop every now and then. I still ordered a replacement lower canister, and put it an a large plastic pail just in case.

To this day, I still have that SunSun304b (and bought 2 more since plus a 302)and wouldn't hesitate to use it again at a moments notice.

Most of the time, it's USER ERROR, but there are surely cases or manufacturer defects just like there are in anything else.

Another way to look at it: How many recall's has your car had? Dam near EVERY car manufacturer has had them at this point if for no other reason than replacing airbags...LOL

As usual with me, YMMV, and I couldn't care less if you don't like cans, or are too lazy to clean them, think they're too heavy, think sumps are better, blah-blah-blah. To me they are actually just simple pressurized, relatively non bypass dependable filtration to me!

Best of luck on WHATEVER you choose.... :)

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
Ive had fluval 305 and 405 for years with out any issues at all. I do perfer sumps, they are costly even if home made but are low maintenance

Last edited:

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
A quality canister will last if you take care of the seals. You must maintain or replace the seals. If you don't, you will have leaks or outright failures after 2-3 years.

I would speculate that a large percent of the people who have problems with canister seals have not been taking care of them.

Reactions: Tony A. and #.$

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
A quality canister will last if you take care of the seals. You must maintain or replace the seals. If you don't, you will have leaks or outright failures after 2-3 years.

I would speculate that a large percent of the people who have problems with canister seals have not been taking care of them.
I agree my fluval 405 ran for about 6 years with no issues.

Reactions: Tony A.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have had my eheim 2217 and 2213 for 12 years. Both are running strong. Have not changed seals on either, have changed impeller rods though. 2213 has pretty much been in constant use the whole time, 2217 has had a few years off here and there.
Very happy with eheim's quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store