Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

how often do canisters fail?

Discussion in 'Lessons Learned' started by TimTheWiner, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TimTheWiner

TimTheWiner MFK Members

Yesterday at 9:18 PM
      I thought I was set on a Fluval FX6 for my new 92 gallon cichlid tank but then started reading lots of scary reviews on Amazon with bad seals and faulty parts. Is this really that common. Would I be safer off with a sump setup?

2. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Duane
      Today at 4:13 AM
      After trying a number of canisters years back, having them fail, and finding out they were very user "Un"-friendly to clean. I refuse to ever use them again.
      I much prefer the ease of a sumps maintenance, and or, even hang a on the back filter.
      I don't see anything magical that a pressurized can, can do, that any other filter can't do just as well, without the hassle.

Drstrangelove likes this.
    3. slippery slimecoat

slippery slimecoat MFK Members

Ben
      Today at 5:54 AM
      Completely agree with @duanes@duanes . A sump might take a little more work initially, but is much easier to maintain in the long run. For smaller tanks I'm a big fan of Aquaclear HOB's. Dependable and user friendly. I ran a 120 gallon with two AC110's for years.

4. nossalucard

nossalucard MFK Members

Friday at 3:54 PM
      I've been using canister (successfully I might add) since 1989-90 or so.

First canister: Magnum 330

I have either been blessed(fingers crossed, don't want to tempt fate) or alot of the issues people have a related to not paying attention to what they are doing and not having common sense.

When I clean my cans, I take a minimum of an hour, because I always grease the seals(always have), after FIRST cleaning the seals(orings), and the canister and various parts(impeller/motor/media). In addition, I only clean mine every 3-6 months, and my nitrates generally stay at 30-40 with weekly 50% water changes.

I see people say, "oh I can clean my FX6 in 15-20 minutes, it's not hard", and then you see (alot of times/not always) those same people having issues down the road, because they were in a hurry, not paying attention to detail, over tightening lids, seals not cleaned and greased, etc.

I actually enjoy cleaning my canisters most of the time, but then again I have a VERY VERY stressful management/engineering career in IT, and actually therefore enjoy mundane non-technical tasks sometimes. I think of it as something I can CONTROL more or less if I just take my time.

That said, I personally have only had(knock on wood) one actual failure/flaw, and that was a SunSun304B that developed a hairline crack in the lower canister itself, but it merely "seeped" a drop every now and then. I still ordered a replacement lower canister, and put it an a large plastic pail just in case.

To this day, I still have that SunSun304b (and bought 2 more since plus a 302)and wouldn't hesitate to use it again at a moments notice.

Most of the time, it's USER ERROR, but there are surely cases or manufacturer defects just like there are in anything else.

Another way to look at it: How many recall's has your car had? Dam near EVERY car manufacturer has had them at this point if for no other reason than replacing airbags...LOL

As usual with me, YMMV, and I couldn't care less if you don't like cans, or are too lazy to clean them, think they're too heavy, think sumps are better, blah-blah-blah. To me they are actually just simple pressurized, relatively non bypass dependable filtration to me!

Best of luck on WHATEVER you choose.... :)

deeda likes this.