how over kill is a fx6 on a 36 inch 72 gallon cichlid tank?

robfreitas345

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
rochester ma
how over kill is a fx6 on a 36 inch 72 gallon African cichlid tank? ive been waiting about a month for my custom 72 to be built and just stumbled across a really good deal for a new fx6 260 new in the box from petco and i couldnt pass it up. i have it setup on my 180 to get some bacteria going and was planning on running this on my new 72. is this going to be too much flow and current for a 36 inch tank?

Username...

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2021
The ideal flow rate for an african cichlid tank is about 4-6 times the volume of the tank and the flowrate of a fx6 250(according to fishlore.com lol) is 563 so it would be kind of high if you are thinking about flow rate but it wouldn't be overkill just a good amount of overfiltration. (idk if this is accurate or even makes sense)

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I think you will be fine. The FX6 is rated at 900gph, so after the sponges, bio-rings etc are put in you will get around 600gph give or take. That gets you about 8 turn overs an hour, good for a normally overstocked type of tank. Just make sure you keep up on it's maintenance, otherwise cannisters are known to turn into nitrate factories

robfreitas345

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
rochester ma
The ideal flow rate for an african cichlid tank is about 4-6 times the volume of the tank and the flowrate of a fx6 250(according to fishlore.com lol) is 563 so it would be kind of high if you are thinking about flow rate but it wouldn't be overkill just a good amount of overfiltration. (idk if this is accurate or even makes sense)
thanks for the reply, yeah thats what i was figuring, a little over filtration cant hurt haha

Reactions: tlindsey

robfreitas345

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
rochester ma
I think you will be fine. The FX6 is rated at 900gph, so after the sponges, bio-rings etc are put in you will get around 600gph give or take. That gets you about 8 turn overs an hour, good for a normally overstocked type of tank. Just make sure you keep up on it's maintenance, otherwise cannisters are known to turn into nitrate factories
thanks for the reply, yeah ive have a few African tanks in the past and they do tent to get pretty dirty quick, i like the idea of being able to get a vac attachment too. why nitrate factorys? just curious, just lack of cleaning of the filter and it going kind of stagnant?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Exactly what you said. Lack of cleaning, all that bio waste builds up, starts decaying creating excess nitrates.
Frequency of cleaning depends on your stocking. If you go light, you can stretch the time between cleanings. But if you go typical African rift lake over stocking to spread aggression then the cleanings will have to be more frequent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store