How poisonous?

AroW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Lightspeed
DeLgAdO;594978; said:
well usually anyways.....
Sorry man but my old stingray(very small) was killed by an aggressive cichlid and he didn't die even though the barb didn't go in he got scratched up.

Maybe fw stingrays are less poisonous since they are somewhat a physiologically distant cousin of the more primitive freshwater ones?

Fly River

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
sAN dIEGO
I second or third this quote, “Trust me when I tell you it hurts like hell and the surrounding tissue did go bye bye”. I still have a small hole on the bottom of my foot and I was stung over 13 years ago.

cartersvillealex

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2006
morgantown, wv
The venom is much like a brown recluse venom in that is causes the skin around the wound to become necrotic. That is the real danger from the sting, other than the horrible pain :)

WeeNe858

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2006
:]
Stingray injury has two aspects: 1) immediate physical trauma from the powerful penetrating action of the spine, and 2) envenomation at the site of the wound with the contents of the ray's integumentary sheath. Although venom is not always deposited during a ``sting incident," these two insults often work in dangerous synchrony.

Translation: IT HURTS!!!! :D

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
cartersvillealex;753671; said:
The venom is much like a brown recluse venom in that is causes the skin around the wound to become necrotic. That is the real danger from the sting, other than the horrible pain :)
brown recluse vemon is very different from stingray venom, VERY different.

BR vemon will eat away at the tissue

stingray vemon wont it jsut hurts like a mofo, its the bacteria and junk on the stinger that can cause an infection and eat away at the wounded area, not the vemon itself.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
i got hit in the finger by a saltwater ray i was trying to release..........hurt like H!!!.........soaking in very hot coffee helped the pain.....kinda felt like my finger was in a vise.....lasted about 3-4 hours.........not nice !!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store