How reliable are eshops overflow boxes

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I'm debating getting rid of my canisters on my 180 and putting a small sump with an eshops 1200 GPH overflow box. So I can install my old drip system into this tank.

How reliable are they. I have a spare laguna max flo 2400 which I'd like to dial down flow and use. Tanks in my living room so cant have this thing overflow if the U tubes get caught with air.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Was thinking about this lately even tho I like canister filters. Do u need a overflow box? Can u use the canister suction intake to suck in the water down to the sump? Or an overflow box is a must?

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Was thinking about this lately even tho I like canister filters. Do u need a overflow box? Can u use the canister suction intake to suck in the water down to the sump? Or an overflow box is a must?
You can use a canister intake in the sump and outake into the tank but you still need a drilled tank or one with an overflow.

I would recommend using a pump tho since median in the canister will slow it down.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
You can use a canister intake in the sump and outake into the tank but you still need a drilled tank or one with an overflow.

I would recommend using a pump tho since median in the canister will slow it down.
Since the tank isn't drill. I can use my canister suction intake to suck the water into the sump below. Then buy a pump for the sump to suck the water back into the tank? Wouldn't that work the same? Why would I need to drill? I am a complete noob when it comes to sump

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Since the tank isn't drill. I can use my canister suction intake to suck the water into the sump below. Then buy a pump for the sump to suck the water back into the tank? Wouldn't that work the same? Why would I need to drill? I am a complete noob when it comes to sump
You are begging for a failure to happen. Don't do this.

I'm debating getting rid of my canisters on my 180 and putting a small sump with an eshops 1200 GPH overflow box. So I can install my old drip system into this tank.

How reliable are they. I have a spare laguna max flo 2400 which I'd like to dial down flow and use. Tanks in my living room so cant have this thing overflow if the U tubes get caught with air.
I find all hob overflows sketchy. Ive had two failures 1 some random one and a eshops. I don't trust them at all.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
A U tube type overflow is what convinced my wife that I needed an aquarium with an internal overflow. Multiple floods.

jhw1126

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2019
I run a pf1200(with two utube) for about 14months and a pf1000(also two utube) for 12 months. Everything is good

I used to turn my return pump on and off twice a day while I feed my fish, that similar to a power outage, yet no failure. (I stopped doing that after I automated my system and move on to auto feeding)

Besides a couple of operating errors that can cause failure. These things are quite reliable.

1) air bubble getting into the utube. Either because the water level of your aquarium and your overflow box has a large enough difference and cause the water draining from your aquarium to smashed into the water in your overflow box and an air bubble is created and suck into the utube. Or your return is aim directly to the overflow box blowing water with air bubbles to it.

2) not enough flow, In most of the time air bubbles created by case, 1 will be flushed away when you have good flow coming from your return. But if your return flow rate is too low compare to your overflow box's flowrate rating. Those air bubbles will be trapped inside the utube and potentially break the siphon when your return pump stops.

Now couple things in mind, pf1200/pf1000 have 2 utube, in most cases, only one utube will break its siphon, the other will have a faster flow rate until it reaches its maximum capacity( i am not sure, you might have to do the math your self) and it will start flooding. And before it reaches its maximum capacity the water level in your tank will raise a bit, but it won't flood if you have enough room for those extra water.
For my own applications, I pulled one utube(pf1000) out and tested the results, it will raise my tank's water level roughly 0.5cm in a 120g 60' ×18' tank. That being said I am pumping 800+gph( actual gph' after all the head pressures and reduction, not a pump's rated gph)according to my apex flow meter.

Also, note when your tank's water level raises your sump's water level are lower if your sump doesn't have enough water at your return area/ water reserves area your return pump is going to be running without water and may cause damage to it.

Or you can drill a hole on the top of the tube and connect that to a maxi jet( or similar pump) to draw potential air bubbles out. ( i did for a few months, found it to be an unnecessary move)

Do I recommend an overflow box? Yes if you can't drill your tank like I am. But if you could drill your tank, drilling it is definitely a better way to go. It is cheaper, uses fewer spaces and more reliable.

Last edited:

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
No bc of power outages and flow rates not matching... that's gonna be a disaster... please dont derail this thread and start ur own... since your a noob at this like u stated i suggest you search or youtube how sumps actually work.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I run a pf1200(with two utube) for about 14months and a pf1000(also two utube) for 12 months. Everything is good

I used to turn my return pump on and off twice a day while I feed my fish, that similar to a power outage, yet no failure. (I stopped doing that after I automated my system and move on to auto feeding)

Besides a couple of operating errors that can cause failure. These things are quite reliable.

1) air bubble getting into the utube. Either because the water level of your aquarium and your overflow box has a large enough difference and cause the water draining from your aquarium to smashed into the water in your overflow box and an air bubble is created and suck into the utube. Or your return is aim directly to the overflow box blowing water with air bubbles to it.

2) not enough flow, In most of the time air bubbles created by case, 1 will be flushed away when you have good flow coming from your return. But if your return flow rate is too low compare to your overflow box's flowrate rating. Those air bubbles will be trapped inside the utube and potentially break the siphon when your return pump stops.

Now couple things in mind, pf1200/pf1000 have 2 utube, in most cases, only one utube will break its siphon, the other will have a faster flow rate until it reaches its maximum capacity( i am not sure, you might have to do the math your self) and it will start flooding. And before it reaches its maximum capacity the water level in your tank will raise a bit, but it won't flood if you have enough room for those extra water.
For my own applications, I pulled one utube(pf1000) out and tested the results, it will raise my tank's water level roughly 0.5cm in a 120g 60' ×18' tank. That being said I am pumping 800+gph( actual gph' after all the head pressures and reduction, not a pump's rated gph)according to my apex flow meter.

Also, note when your tank's water level raises your sump's water level are lower if your sump doesn't have enough water at your return area/ water reserves area your return pump is going to be running without water and may cause damage to it.

Or you can drill a hole on the top of the tube and connect that to a maxi jet( or similar pump) to draw potential air bubbles out. ( i did for a few months, found it to be an unnecessary move)

Do I recommend an overflow box? Yes if you can't drill your tank like I am. But if you could drill your tank, drilling it is definitely a better way to go. It is cheaper, uses fewer spaces and more reliable.

Drilling is not an option since its stocked and running it would be way too much of a hassle.

I've used a smaller eshops overflow on a 75 years ago but I wasnt so concerned because there wasnt much flow and never had an issue.

I saw that the 1200 has 2 U tubes but thought maybe if I added a third it might help if one breaks syphon?... would you recommend that?.... I had an aqua lifter pump around the house somewhere maybe make the third U tube out of pvc and drill a hole on top for the aqua lifter pump to at least guarantee 1 tube with full syphon?

My sump is gonna be a ghetto make shift large storage container of some sort. So if syphon fails there shouldnt be a ton of water for the pump to use to pump back up into the tank if syphon fails.... it will prob run dry.

I'm using a storage bin only to pack in media not for more water volume and also so I can drill it and use the drain in the sump to drain the excess waste water from my drip system.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store