How to add fish?

Nanook

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2017
Missouri
I'm planning on starting a 375 gallon tank with Lupota. I'm wanting to mix up the species a bit and have some good suggestions, so I'm curious if I should try to add them first, or at the same time.

Some of the fish That have been suggested, not sure on quantity or size on these either:

Calvus/ Compressiceps

Featherfins like cyathopharynx faoi or opthalmotilalia boops

Lamprologus species like lelueipi or nkambe

Any thoughts?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
It will all come down to size. If you end up with 1-2" fronts I would add them first and let them get some size before adding anything other than calvus/compressiceps. Calvus are notoriously slow growers so tend to fall behind but if there are large shells in the tank they are pretty good at staying out of the way. Featherfins are Very active and can cause "anxiety" in fronts (and other fish) when the fronts are small so I would get featherfins that are smaller than the fronts. boops in particular can be a little aggressive but tend to keep it within their group but again can stress other fish from the activity. Lamps will be easier, they can pretty much go in whenever the fronts are over 2" I'd say as long as the lamps are smaller. Everything changes when they all grow up, fronts are piscavores after all so it's all risky. Some work great with smaller fish and some, we'll don't:) as for numbers If it were me I'd get 3 or 4 calvus of a couple different varieties, 3 or 4 leluepi 2 or 3 of any of the other lamp species. If you go featherfins a group of at least 6. That would give you around 35 fish give or take which would be fine in that large of a tank.

Nanook

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2017
Missouri
Seems like all forums are slow these days with folks using other forms of social media.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I am only familiar with Malawi mbuna. I put them in as 1" fry. They grow up in the pecking order.
Seems to work, as my male to female ratio is way off, with too many males.

Had one female peacock, with an attitude adopt a school of 20 half inch fry. With out eating any of them. She was holding unfertilized eggs, when I add the fry. She thinks their her babies.
Some times unconventional works.

Reactions: Coryloach

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
anytime I add new fish to an established tank I change all of the décor, move all the hiding spots around ,and I'll add some new driftwood or plants. Now everybody is the new fish sorta. Lessens the home team advantage. -I had a Carpintis and a Chocolate cichlid adopt a 7 inch black ghost knife they still guard him like they're his secret service

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
I have an all male Malawi tank. I try to add at least 3 fish at a time. If you add less they get picked on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store