How to breed anglefish?

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
I had a talk with my LFS, and they said they would take anglefish long term (for store credit) if they look good.

These guys have the best products so store credit is right up my alley, plus they have all the fish and tank sizes I would ever need.

How would I go about angel breeding? The guy said I could use a 29 gallon, stock it with 5, have two pair up, move the pair to a 20 high, then get rid of the rest. Just to start out. Now he only told me about the pairing part. He also said it is kinda hard, and it gets harder if you have others in the tank. Now, was his info right?

All I know about angel breeding: one may die, they need a flat surface, they will eat their eggs if they get stressed and freak out, the parents take care of the fry for 1-3 weeks.

They will accept any color morph. I want to be nice so I will go through the trouble of getting males and females of the same color morph, and having the females from one place and the males from another, to have less of a chance of inbreeding.

I like kois, but any angel is fine, I am too low of funds at the moment so I am definitely not getting them shipped in. I have never kept angels, but I knew my mom would want angels at some point so I studied them on my spare time.

Please lmk anything you can about breeding angels, correct anything I mentioned here if it is incorrect. Thank you in advance!

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
I personally wouldn't rely on the will take long term unless you had a rare pair.
I asked the guy about that, he said that if they have too many I could just sell the breeding pair and the rest of my current fry and just start on another species. Or just move on from breeding.

He also told me that as long as the fish looks real pretty, isn't sick, and it isn't already in abundance, they'll take it for credit.

I could maybe even try to talk to them about giving me some cash instead of credit, so I could buy a rare pair off the net.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Breed some fire kois, they are easy to breed, I would give away all but the reddest young, (keep the reddest and try for selective breeding, in time you can create a super red variant).

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
Breed some fire kois, they are easy to breed, I would give away all but the reddest young, (keep the reddest and try for selective breeding, in time you can create a super red variant).
Looks like you're challenging me!

I'll try for a super red but it might be hard to get there if I'm trying to clean up the genetics. Maybe I can save a few of my reddest fry and get the reddest koi angel at the store with my store credit. I can even try to get them to special order some fire kois.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Looks like you're challenging me!

I'll try for a super red but it might be hard to get there if I'm trying to clean up the genetics. Maybe I can save a few of my reddest fry and get the reddest koi angel at the store with my store credit. I can even try to get them to special order some fire kois.
Can't hurt to try! That's how many awesome fish types are created!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store