How to control waste food in predator tanks.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I’m pretty sure you FH will be able to eat bigger snails. My vieja slurps adult assassin snails out of their shells...the only surviving snails I have a minuscule trumpets that are too small to eat , they are now an unsightly mess that I am unable to control
I've never had one eat adult snails.. always thought they should though right?
I guess each personality is different in that regard too

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I've never had one eat adult snails.. always thought they should though right?
I guess each personality is different in that regard too
Yea guess they have a preference for food, if they develop a taste for something they are more likely to go for it.

I don’t know how my vieja discovered it could eat snails or why it even tried bc it’s fed very well. Lol

I’ve even tried putting small assassin snails in the tank and it hunts them bc it knows the shells ??

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Snakeheadred

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2020
Giggleinton
In the wild fish can go for days without eating, it's a real feast or famine situation for them. In captivity, in an aquarium, they are usually fed daily, sometimes on multiple occasions within that day. A lot of hobbyists probably think they are starving their fish because they always "beg" for food when you approach the tank. Don't fall into that trap. The appearance and activity levels of your fish will tell you if they are starving or not.

It will be interesting to see what other members think, they'll be along shortly no doubt.
Ye I'm finding my feet with my giant sneak head people say feed every day he is a baby but I still think I'm gone have one day were he as rest so out so thinking 5 days feed six day nothing an white worms no matter what u do they are going to be in your eco maybe treat your tank also back to what u said in the wild it's true fish can go week with out nothing .. stitch is growing every day think he gone be a biggen this one is growth rates for giant sneak heads all same or different

IMG_20200629_231202.jpg

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
You said you change water once every 3 months? I would change that schedule to once a week if possible to avoid the planaria growth.

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
You said you change water once every 3 months? I would change that schedule to once a week if possible to avoid the planaria growth.
Weekly changes say 25% I clean the canister once every three months...

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Oh ok my bad. Looks like you are doing everything like you should. When I start seeing the worms in my tank ( which I rarely do) I cut back on the feeding after a good 50% water change such as every other day or sometimes even 2 days then feed a bit but not too much especially messy eaters. I do water changes 25%-40% 2 times a week on most of my tanks. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: rosslee

rosslee

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2020
Oh ok my bad. Looks like you are doing everything like you should. When I start seeing the worms in my tank ( which I rarely do) I cut back on the feeding after a good 50% water change such as every other day or sometimes even 2 days then feed a bit but not too much especially messy eaters. I do water changes 25%-40% 2 times a week on most of my tanks. Hopefully that helps.
Thanks buddy.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Since you tried smaller pellets and fish still chews, try adding some more moisture to them, I use vitachem, may be your fish would eat moist pellets without chewing. Don't soak it in more water though, pellets will loose some nutrition, always try adding few drops on top of food.

For my fish, I also add one pellet at a time to the tank, so I get minimal waste.

What pellet size did you try? And how big is fish? Mine is around 7 inches and I feed 3mm pellets.

One more thing you can try as everyone else suggest is another fish or snails. I always went with plecos as they help with algae as well.
Just curious, did you miss this or it wasn't helpful?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store