How to Cycle Tank For the First Time

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
You already said you'll be measuring ammonia, so when it goes down, add more food, then keep adding daily until you put fish in. But I would not add more food during the weeks where your ammonia level isn't dropping.
So at step 3 when I say to add more fish food when the ammonia has appeared I should not be doing that but instead be adding in more fish food when I start to see nitrites?

So this:

Step 1: After tank is all setup add 16 pinches of liquefied fish food to the water.

Step 2: Wait for Ammonia to appear by testing the water everyday. (If no Ammonia appears then add more fish food after 3 days)

Step 3: When Ammonia appears, start testing the water for both Ammonia and Nitrite.

Note: Make sure Ammonia does not get above 2ppm. If it does, do a partial water change to lower it down. Do not vacuum gravel.

Step 4: When nitrite starts appearing start adding fish food in again into the water in smaller quarantines. Keep measuring for Ammonia and Nitrite and as the ammonia level goes down add in food an necessary.

Step 5: When Nitrite starts to appear start to test for Nitrates. Now test everyday for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Continue adding in fish food everyday.

Step 6: When Nitrate appears, start testing the PH levels, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate everyday. If the PH level drops, do a water change.

Step 7. Keep adding in fish food everyday and test the water for everything. Once a reading of 0ppm occurs on Ammonia and Nitrite a few days in a row, the cycle is finished.

Step 8. Finally do a large water change to get rid of Phosphates and Nitrates. Also vacuum the gravel at this point.

Step 9: Add fish.

Step 10: Test the water for Ammonia and Nitrite every day. If there is an Ammonia or Nitrite spike do a large water change.

Step 11: Keep doing partial water changes every other day until things are stable.

Reactions: dr exum

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It would be so much easier to use clear ammonia rather than fish food as you can better control how much ammonia to use. Is there a reason you don't want to use ammonia?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
It would be so much easier to use clear ammonia rather than fish food as you can better control how much ammonia to use. Is there a reason you don't want to use ammonia?
I have heard it can be easily messed up and measuring a proper amount out can be hard. Like it can be under or over dosed. I have also heard that the fish food method is the best. But idk so any suggestions are appreciated.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'd dose 2 ppm of liquid ammonia and forget the fish food. Just add more daily when it starts going down until you see zero ammonia and nitrite. The filter should be able to remove a 2 ppm dose in a day.

Using fish food isn't better, not sure where you got that idea. Much easier to control the level with liquid ammonia.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'd dose 2 ppm of liquid ammonia and forget the fish food. Just add more daily when it starts going down until you see zero ammonia and nitrite. The filter should be able to remove a 2 ppm dose in a day.

Using fish food isn't better, not sure where you got that idea. Much easier to control the level with liquid ammonia.
So how much liquid ammonia would I need for 240 gallons? To add 2 ppm?

And how would this change the rest of the steps?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
So how much liquid ammonia would I need for 240 gallons? To add 2 ppm?

And how would this change the rest of the steps?
You're overthinking this. Your steps are too complicated.

Step 1: Squirt in some ammonia, wait a bit, measure. Keep adding it until it's around 2 ppm.
Step 2: Do nothing but measure ammonia every couple days until it drops to zero - could take more than a month.
Step 3: Then every day, bring ammonia back up to 2 ppm until nitrite goes to zero - could take another couple weeks or more.
Step 4: At this point, ammonia and nitrite should go to zero overnight after dosing 2 ppm. Do a big water change and add fish.

You're done.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
You're overthinking this. Your steps are too complicated.

Step 1: Squirt in some ammonia, wait a bit, measure. Keep adding it until it's around 2 ppm.
Step 2: Do nothing but measure ammonia every couple days until it drops to zero - could take more than a month.
Step 3: Then every day, bring ammonia back up to 2 ppm until nitrite goes to zero - could take another couple weeks or more.
Step 4: At this point, ammonia and nitrite should go to zero overnight after dosing 2 ppm. Do a big water change and add fish.

You're done.
1) Okay so I'm guessing your explaining the "Large Does" method of ammonia cycling correct? Where you're not adding in ammonia everyday but you're adding in large doses instead?

2) How long do I have to wait to test the water after adding the ammonia to get a accurate reading? Is it immediate? After a few hours?

3) I was just reading this post on the the "Daily" method fishless cycling and I have a question:

I am thinking of getting this ammonia: https://www.amazon.ca/DrTims-Aquatics-830-Ammonium-chloride/dp/B078HYGK9D/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=DrTim's+Aquatics+Ammonium&qid=1569819093&sr=8-6&th=1

(apparently it is hard to get pure straight ammonia in Canada due to some nonsense regulations by Health Canada.)

I've read some of the reviews and it says that since they have to dilute it more to ship to Canada the instructions are 4 drops per gallon to reach 2ppm. Now the guide says 5 drops for 10 gallons. So I'm confused on that. Which is it?

4) If I'm doing the "Daily" method, I'm not sure on how many drops to add per 10 gallons because the article didn't mention what level adding 5 drops for every 10 gallons gets you to.

5) Should I just use a product like stability to speed up the process? Is there any reason why this method wouldn't be recommended?

6) Step 1: Squirt in some ammonia, wait a bit, measure. Keep adding it until it's around 2 ppm.
How much ammonia should I add per gallon?

I would be adding the same amount as the first time correct?

Last edited:

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I use Dr. Tims. There are instructions on the bottle. You'll have to measure to know your resulting ammonia level. Just wait a while (several minutes should be enough but wait an hour if it makes you feel better) to give the water time to circulate, then measure it.

Adding liquid bacteria products does not seem to help in my experience. Definitely don't buy more than one bottle thinking more is better. It doesn't work that way. You'll be wasting your money.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store