How to execute my hardscape idea?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Side note before I start my actual post; ok so long story short, I had to euthanize one of my goldfish as he was paralyzed and was slowly declining in the past few months, I didn’t want him to suffer so he was euthanized. This leaves me with 2 fancy goldfish in a 60g cube tank (who are we kidding it was never a good tank for goldfish) and I’m thinking about changing direction with this tank. I am toying with the idea of re-homing the goldfish....been thinking about it really hard...a few times a day....I don’t really want to but think I do, for their sakes of having a more properly suited aquaria....anyways

If I do change directions with this tank it’s going to be difficult to scape as it is 2 feet high, I have an idea I seen on a google pic that I might like to attempt (pic below)

My question lies with the stacked rocks...how to a start the base of the rocks? How do I prevent them from piling over and breaking the glass? How do I prevent mulmun and detritus from building up within the gaps on the rocks? I don’t want to have to un-build the rocks to clean under/between them? What kind of rocks do I use?

Additional information, planning on making it a blackwater tank with a pair of angelfish, mystery snails, and maybe some dithers...obviously this tank is smaller thank my tank but I like the general idea of filling a corner with rocks and driftwood that reach up into the water column
CC10F318-D1F4-493F-8B53-A0D6A0F2475A.jpeg

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Dry fit them with silicone or black pond style Great Stuff and run a power head behind the stack to keep the detritus from accumulating.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Dry fit them with silicone or black pond style Great Stuff and run a power head behind the stack to keep the detritus from accumulating.
That sucks I just sold a power head bc I didn’t think I had a use for one lol

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Why do you think a 60 gallon cube is not good for goldfish? For comets, yeah probably small in the long run, but for some fancy goldfish I think it would be fine

On the rocks- you use silicon to get them to stay like that. You probably will have some detritus built up in the nooks and crannies, that comes with the territory, will be pretty much unavoidable. If you have a rock stack like the one in the picture, you won't be moving them to do water changes. I would just try to vacuum around them. And to keep from falling, just do a good job with the silicon, and place larger rocks on the bottom, try to avoid any heavy overhangs.
Good luck, sounds like a cool idea

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Too bad you jumped the gun and sold the power head , they are great for aiming flow at rocks, to direct detritus into a user friendly vacuuming spot.
Beside silicone, there are aquarium safe epoxies available (rock look alikes) that are good for helping to fuse rock piles together.
I have also used "Great Stuff Pond/Water feature" that works well.
After cutting a 3D back ground to fit into a tank, I used it to fuse the pieces back together once placed in the tank.
In the shot below it is still curing, before filling the tank.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Why do you think a 60 gallon cube is not good for goldfish? For comets, yeah probably small in the long run, but for some fancy goldfish I think it would be fine

On the rocks- you use silicon to get them to stay like that. You probably will have some detritus built up in the nooks and crannies, that comes with the territory, will be pretty much unavoidable. If you have a rock stack like the one in the picture, you won't be moving them to do water changes. I would just try to vacuum around them. And to keep from falling, just do a good job with the silicon, and place larger rocks on the bottom, try to avoid any heavy overhangs.
Good luck, sounds like a cool idea
It’s just not much of a foot print, my goldfish I euthanized was quite large for a fancy goldfish...almost 10 inches and the ones that remain are about 6 inches, just feels cramped to me, even without much decor.

Thank you, I’ve been really thinking about getting a change in this tank, I do quite like my goldfish and won’t just remhome them to anyone...they must be going somewhere they will be taken good care of.

This re-do will take me some time as I’m just collecting idea on execution so silicone if going to be my friend!!

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Too bad you jumped the gun and sold the power head , they are great for aiming flow at rocks, to direct detritus into a user friendly vacuuming spot.
Beside silicone, there are aquarium safe epoxies available (rock look alikes) that are good for helping to fuse rock piles together.
After cutting a 3D back ground to fit into a tank, I used it to fuse the pieces back together once placed in the tank.
Yea I’m really hating myself for selling it now, I even sold it for really cheap!!
gow long did you let the great stuff cure for??24 hours?

Do you have a picture of the stuff freshly from the can? Is it strong enough to hold rocks together?

I’m sorry I feel like I’ve bombarded you with questions With things I very well could google, I just wanted someone opinion that has used it!! :)

Do you think I can use great stuff as rocks??? Like spray a glob wait for it to cure, then another blob, wait for it to cure? And build up to what I want???would it be too light and buoyant?

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
If you’re trying to make fake rocks you want the black pond foam not regular great stuff. Looks reasonably convincing as a pumice-like rock after you carve down the skin of the cured foam. However it’s too buoyant for underwater use by itself. If you’re using it in an aquarium you’re best off using it to gap fill/adhere other rocks together.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
If you’re trying to make fake rocks you want the black pond foam not regular great stuff. Looks reasonably convincing as a pumice-like rock after you carve down the skin of the cured foam. However it’s too buoyant for underwater use by itself. If you’re using it in an aquarium you’re best off using it to gap fill/adhere other rocks together.
Noted!!

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Picked up some rocks and great stuff pond foam....this is moving quicker than I anticipated haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store