How to feed synodontis in a mbuna tank?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
At night is always the answer for feeding catfish. As they get older they may get bolder and feed during the day more too

-Die4U-

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
Bad advice-over feed your tank like 4 times a day like I used too ..lol my cats got huge . Had to take them and trade them in at my LFS .

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Oh, I feed the tank three times a day.
The first two times just as much, as is eaten by the mbunas within 30- 40 seconds.
And the last feeding is just about 20 % the amount of one daytime feeding and fed when it is totally dark.
I can not hear any boiling water sounds of excited mbunas, so I presume the small pellets are sinking and become dinner for the catfish.
They have put on some weight since I started nightfeeding.
They were pretty skinny before.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a suggestion if you wish to hear it which could be done in addition to night time feeding. What you wanna do is get a piece of pvc pipe and then drill a hole in the pvc. Now what you want to do is get either another piece of pvc pipe or some tubing but make sure it will fit snugly in the hole. Put it in the hole. Now you have a place you can drop food for the catfish without the other fish knowing (if both pipes aren't clear).

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Post # 4

Another option is to target feed, use a piece of PVC pipe and drop the food down the pipe with it exiting directly into the cats caves.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
But you tried to help, so I like your comment anyway...
Two of them lay together most of the time, they are more roundbellied too.
The other three ones are kind of on their own, so these might be males, I guess.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Two of them lay together most of the time, they are more roundbellied too.
The other three ones are kind of on their own, so these might be males, I guess.
Sounds like it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store