How to get rid of chloramines for drip system?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Chloramine bumps its way through almost any filter, proper dechlor is the best way to get rid of it honestly

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I had a good look over my water report and apparently it's just chlorine gas treatment is what's being used. Using test kit I read very very small amounts of chlorine in my water so I'm assuming that just a standard activated carbon filter will be enough to remove. I don't think chloramines exist as I cannot find it on the water report or any indication when they're talking about sanitizing of the water

Reactions: tlindsey

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You can just aerate the water overnight to remove most normal amounts.

But if you live somewhere like Long Beach, they use more than we would put in a swimming pool.
I'd consider the source.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
When I test my tank vs tap I can't see any difference in the amount of chlorine. I use prime currently.

But switching to a drip system today and I am.making a diy inline activated charcoal filter for it.

No chance to age water with a drip.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Just be careful, a guy on my side lost 80% of his fish after the water supplies got overloaded with chloramine with a flush.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I went over your areas water quality report (had to jump thru some hoops to find the word Chloramine, found it in the regional section, and is does seem that a minimal amount of Chloramine is used before the water is sent into the distribution system.
Initial treatment is free chlorine, ozone and UV, the chloramine is added to provide a residual that reduces any pathogenic bacterial growth throughout the distribution pipes.
The word "combined chlorine" is often used as a moniker when referring to chloramine, another term is Total Chlorine.
You may want to use a pool test kit to see how much is actually there at your house, it can be very little or very much depending how far you are from the injection point.
And that number might influence the size of your carbon filter, or the frequency of replacing the carbon more if its high at your house. The actual numbers the site quotes are quite low, as little as 0.2ppm at certain times.
Where I lived in the states, 1.5-2.00 ppm was not uncommon.
An example of a Pool Store test kit below

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Hey,

I appreciate you taking the time to review. I haven't updated my account but I recently moved to a house in Woodstock Ontario.

I know Cambridge has chloramines. But 8 can't find anything from Woodstock reports.

If you don't mind taking a look too I would appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store