How to get ur pbass to grow large in captivity?

TheMightyOscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
New York
have a huge tank for one or two peas..and by huge i mean HUGE.

most get 20-25 inches in home aquaria..which is pretty big..but definitely managable.

i cant imagine the amonths of food you would need..it would definitely have to be a fish based diet, with lots of protien foods moxed in.

JuanTamad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, Fl
IMO, the trick is to keep it alive as long as possible.

That may mean good food and good water.

Remember, the more you feed the faster it will grow, however, that means the water will foul up quicker and will require more water changes. So try to find the balance of feeding and water change frequency and quantity that you can fit in with your lifestyle. If you feed too many times and too much without maintaining the water quality, the PB might not live to its full potential.

Ozkar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2007
Baltimore, MD
The 3 main things for growing your fish large....

1) Water changes
2) Water changes
3) Water changes

Alot and often. (Keeps the pheromones down which inhibit growth - or something like that). And I mean ALOT, like 50 to 75% twice a week! Or you could set up a constant drip system. There are some links on here somewhere about them.

Oh, and feed them occasionally.

DIESELMACK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2005
WorldWide
I do water change maybe once a month :D All my bass over 2 yrs old are already over 20".

Key IMO:
1) large swimming area that is not crowded.
2) great water quality/efficient filtration system.
3) proper water conditions(ie ph,temp,ect that is cichla specific to the species of cichla and collection region"if wild caught").
4) daily feeding with proper day/night period.
5) time & patience
;)

sabotage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Outside Philly
DIESELMACK;828084; said:
I do water change maybe once a month :D All my bass over 2 yrs old are already over 20".

Key IMO:
1) large swimming area that is not crowded.
2) great water quality/efficient filtration system.
3) proper water conditions(ie ph,temp,ect that is cichla specific to the species of cichla and collection region"if wild caught").
4) daily feeding with proper day/night period.
5) time & patience
;)
The man knows his cichla and he is The pastor of the church of Cichla..AMEN BIG D, AMEN:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store