How to go about building a plywood aquarium with OSB wood?

catfish84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Hello, I am building a plywood aquarium that will hold 100 gallons of water out of 1/2 in osb plywood (that is the only wood i could use), i have the box done with a second layer all around the edges and sides and ribs, and i need to seal the interior and exterior. For the interior I will use either pond sheild or zavlar liquid rubber, and fiberglass around the seams, and the exterior a lot of oil paint like rust-oleum, making sure all of the wood is sealed (the wood itself is also treated and water resistant)

Is there any other precautions i should take on this build, since most people use the smooth and layered plywood?
do i need to cover the entire inside with fiberglass cloth?
how much more epoxy will i need to account for the surface texture?
also lastly, it would help if anyone knows how weight is distributed on plywood aquariums, is the same as glass aquariums or different?

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hello, I am building a plywood aquarium that will hold 100 gallons of water out of 1/2 in osb plywood (that is the only wood i could use), i have the box done with a second layer all around the edges and sides and ribs, and i need to seal the interior and exterior. For the interior I will use either pond sheild or zavlar liquid rubber, and fiberglass around the seams, and the exterior a lot of oil paint like rust-oleum, making sure all of the wood is sealed (the wood itself is also treated and water resistant)

Is there any other precautions i should take on this build, since most people use the smooth and layered plywood?
do i need to cover the entire inside with fiberglass cloth?
how much more epoxy will i need to account for the surface texture?
also lastly, it would help if anyone knows how weight is distributed on plywood aquariums, is the same as glass aquariums or different?
One thing to take into account is the absorption of fiberglass into the OSB. It can act like a sponge.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
All good questions for a plywood build. But it's way cheaper and easier to build a tank of 100gal from used glass, or just buy a tank that size if it will work for the dimensions u need. Plywood builds only save u money on a tank w much more volume. (400-600gal at least)

Reactions: Backfromthedead

catfish84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
All good questions for a plywood build. But it's way cheaper and easier to build a tank of 100gal from used glass, or just buy a tank that size if it will work for the dimensions u need. Plywood builds only save u money on a tank w much more volume. (400-600gal at least)
the reason i am using plywood is because im building a quite large paludarium (the 100 gallons of water is only half of the aquarium), and i had the plywood and glass panel already, and since the glass is going up halfway the front and its a custom size to fit where i can put it, wood was much easier to use.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Sounds like u have it under control. U should only NEED fiberglass in seams and corners. Doing the while thing will give u more peace of mind. I usually end up using twice as much pond shield as suggested. Never used the rubber before.

catfish84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
thanks for the advice! im thinking of going with the liquid rubber because it is pretty much the same thing as pond sheild, same applications and color, except its much cheaper than pond shield.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I am also thinking of trying it due to cost effectiveness on my current 4800gal build. Let me know how it works! Good luck!

catfish84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2020
Thanks! i have decided to use pond shield since the liquid rubber will turn brown after a while and i dont need nearly as much pond shield as rubber. there is no flex on the panels of wood so pond shield will hold fine.

Reactions: Dovii kid

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Sounds like you are doing a crazy build here! I have never fiber glassed before, but my understanding is that if you fiberglass enough, your essentially creating a bath tub effect which will then hold it's own shape. Looking forward to progress pics of this build for sure!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store