how to ID baby Spotted Gar and Temensis Peacock bass?

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Hi so a year ago I bought a small peacock bass and it had a lot of spots on it so i thought it was a temensis, 1 year later it turned out to be an azul so how do I ID a baby one?

For spotted gars, how do I id them when they are a baby vs other species all I know is that alligator gars and spotted gars have a major difference but the others im not sure of.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I believe you have to wait for the p.bass to color up a bit more. As for the gars I'm unsure but I am sure that someone on here has a picture of the different species.

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I believe you have to wait for the p.bass to color up a bit more. As for the gars I'm unsure but I am sure that someone on here has a picture of the different species.
aw :(

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
There are people on here who can usually do a decent job Iding younger p-bass and gar

Reactions: Zanzag

Aquariumkid

Feeder Fish
Jun 13, 2020
I’m going through the same thing I have a 3 in azul and a 3 in Kelberi but I can’t tell if the azul is actually an azul because it looks like a temensis so if anybody could help

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Peacock bass babies can look pretty similar when young. Honestly my best advice is to just spend a lot of time looking at all the different species and noting the slight differences in shape, marking, fins, etc. It's more of just something you pick up over time but explaining it doesnt always come across super clear. You can always post it on here and some of us can help you.

Heres my best attempt at explaining how small temensis look. Temensis have the most slender body height to length ratio, so theyll be longer and leaner than other bass. Theyll have a light tan base color with one solid black line running horizontal from the eye down all the way through the tail fin. Along the line, especially when stressed, you can see 3 vertical black lines pretty evenly spaced along the horizontal line making something of a "plus sign". As they mature the horizontal line will disappear and the vertical bars will deepen in color. Their base body color will turn brownish on top and silver on the bottom, with lots of gold spangling in a rough pattern of horizontal lines all over their body. The horizontal bars never connect to their back like azuls do. Hopefully that helps you going forward

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store