How to move wigglers

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
Well I went on vacation for the weekend and came back to a second pair of breeding managuenses in my tank who now have wigglers. So I have an extra tyank for them but I am worried about moving the wigglers. They are not swimming yet but how and when would be the best time and way to move them.

StevePerry

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
could you use a turkey baster?

windsurfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2006
sconnie
two ways to go for moving the wrigglers:

if the wrigglers are attached to a rock or a leaf, you can scoop that out in a container being careful to keep them under water at all times.

The other way is to use a turkey baster.

The challenge either way will be if the parents are still protecting them - they may make it difficult for you.:)

I've successfully done both ways, but not with managuenses before. The hardiness of fry varies from species to species and wrigglers can be sensitive.

If your batch is big enough, you can try turkey bastering a few and wait 24hrs to see if they survive in the new tank.

You can wait until they're free swimming, but then they'll be hard to catch in a big tank - and the parents may loose their instincts and have a snack - they can dissappear pretty fast.

Ideally, I snatch the eggs, keeping them under water the entire time and transfer them let them hatch in a bb tank with a sponge filter. - I understand your situation though......

Have you thought about what you're going to feed them?

Good luck with them!
windsurfer

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Once they start swimming, suck them out with a gravel vac. Very effective method.

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
Hawkfish3.0;787219; said:
Once they start swimming, suck them out with a gravel vac. Very effective method.
I think thats what i am going to do since i dont want them to lose there first batch of eggs. Thanks for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store