How to tell if you need to add oxygen to the water?

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Hi everyone, I have been wondering about this and today I noticed my fish biting the top of the water and then immediately some bubbles come out of his gills and mouth. I have heard fish will try to make their own oxygen when there is not enough in the water. Just wondering what is the safest and most efficient way to add oxygen to the water? I have an air pump rated for a 20g but it provides LOTS of bubbles at least it looks like a lot to me. I added this to my sponge filters powerhead and it makes tons of tiny “micro?” bubbles. Another question: are these safe and/or efficient to add oxygen to water? I have read different oppinions some say that theyse micro bubbles can be harmful to fish, gills, eyes, etc. idk tho sounds weird any info will be appreciated!

image.jpg

edit: the air pump was not being used until I noticed him biting for air or at least thats what I thought he was doing.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, I have been wondering about this and today I noticed my fish biting the top of the water and then immediately some bubbles come out of his gills and mouth. I have heard fish will try to make their own oxygen when there is not enough in the water. Just wondering what is the safest and most efficient way to add oxygen to the water? I have an air pump rated for a 20g but it provides LOTS of bubbles at least it looks like a lot to me. I added this to my sponge filters powerhead and it makes tons of tiny “micro?” bubbles. Another question: are these safe and/or efficient to add oxygen to water? I have read different oppinions some say that theyse micro bubbles can be harmful to fish, gills, eyes, etc. idk tho sounds weird any info will be appreciated!

View attachment 1395255

edit: the air pump was not being used until I noticed him biting for air or at least thats what I thought he was doing.
Place the powerhead near the surface for agitation . If a fish needed oxygen they will stay at the surface gulping in water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Tom, if you move the power head closer to the surface, it will create surface movement from the water flow, and allow the venturi tube to suck in more air creating a heavier bubble stream.
Here are a couple shots of the bubble streams from some of my Venturis
you can experiment with what level creates the best turbulence that keeps your fish from gasping at the surface.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've had individual fish under no stress, distress, or duress at all do what you're describing, while no one else in the tank was doing it and all fish were breathing normally-- essentially indicating it was an individual behavior and not an oxygen issue. Not sure of the reason for the behavior, don't know if it's correct, but I've seen it suggested they're clearing their gills of small debris. There are a few fish, like wild angelfish I've had, that when hungry will sort of 'sift' the surface, apparently for tiny algae, critters, etc. --I've tested this, and if I feed while they're doing it, they immediately stop, go for the food and, hunger satisfied, do not return to 'sifting' the surface.

Except in my earlier days of keeping fish, most of my tanks have relied on surface current from filters for oxygenation, occasionally I'll add an air stone, mostly not. I've done both over the years, either way or both together can work.

I've found different types of fish breath at different rates, my kapampa gibberosa breath slower than my SAs, unless the kapampa are doing a lot of chasing. But generally speaking, if there's even, relaxed breathing for the most part, you're probably fine.

I've read that it's possible, or so some articles say, but personally I've never had a problem from 'micro-bubbles', such as after a water change.

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Great stuff, thank you for the replies everyone! I like the idea of using the powerhead to create surface agitation but what is the best way to do this? Ie. do I need a longer tube? Also worth mentioning, I mainly use this powerhead to keep water moving around the tank and dont want to lose that if I arrange it towards the top. I have an emperor 400 power filter that usually creates good agitation but I like having my water level as high as I can go so I dont hear the dripping water as much. Will there still be enough agitation if I keep doing this or should I let my water level go down an inch?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If the Emporer filter is on the aquarium then there should be some surface movement. You could just leave the powerhead as it is. Years ago some manufacturers would include a clamp in the box.It was optional if you used it or not.

Reactions: Finthusiast

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Ok thanks for the replys I will leave it how it is thanks for the advice, I will also keep the bubbles going as the temp is around 78-80 F just to be on the safe side. Now is there a way to check oxygen levels or is this more complex than nitrites lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Finthusiast

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Cool thread awesome toy at the end of that thread they were talking about
The base unit (meter) is $329, the probes are priced individually. Some require calibration solutions, all of which are includes with the initial purchase, and additional calibration solutions are priced on the information pages for the corresponding probes. For the most part, you dip the probe in the water and the meter reads a value. It is that simple, plug and play. They also sell colorimeters that can be connected to the meter, and it will read the color of a sample, as you normally compare the API kit to your color chart, only with much higher precision.
lol great info thank you!

Edit: just looked it up myself here is a link to a sensor that measures ”dissolved oxygen” in you water.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store