How to treat ammonia poisoning

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
So I have a pacu in a 125 with a red tail and 2 channel cats. One of my canister filters began cycling much weaker for some reason and now the water has a brownish tint.I didn’t notice it because that tank has a blue light so I could not tell the water was fouling. I had a red devil and some red hooks in there as well but I have moved them all to separate tanks. Most of the fish began behaving quite lethargic and refusing food. I noticed yesterday my pacu’s eyes are cloudy and his skin seems very dull and ashy. I’ve done a 50 percent water change and added normal dosing of prime.

my question is how to treat this other than just water changes? And did I diagnose this properly?
Lastly before anyone jumps on me I know the tank is too small I have a 450 gallon that will be here by December 16th from Joe at glass cages. Just trying to keep the fish alive until then. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have a pacu in a 125 with a red tail and 2 channel cats. One of my canister filters began cycling much weaker for some reason and now the water has a brownish tint.I didn’t notice it because that tank has a blue light so I could not tell the water was fouling. I had a red devil and some red hooks in there as well but I have moved them all to separate tanks. Most of the fish began behaving quite lethargic and refusing food. I noticed yesterday my pacu’s eyes are cloudy and his skin seems very dull and ashy. I’ve done a 50 percent water change and added normal dosing of prime.

my question is how to treat this other than just water changes? And did I diagnose this properly?
Lastly before anyone jumps on me I know the tank is too small I have a 450 gallon that will be here by December 16th from Joe at glass cages. Just trying to keep the fish alive until then. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

View attachment 1480648

View attachment 1480649
You definitely did the most important thing by removing some fish and the 50% wc. Don't feed and do partial wc's until parameters stabilize. Also don't feed your fish for a few days. Sounds like your bioload was increasing probably from the growth of the fish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You definitely did the most important thing by removing some fish and the 50% wc. Don't feed and do partial wc's until parameters stabilize. Also don't feed your fish for a few days. Sounds like your bioload was increasing probably from the growth of the fish.
+1

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
50% is a start...but still not enough, especially when your water has already gotten so foul. If you absolutely must keep all those fish in that small volume, you should be thinking about much larger changes at least every other day. Also, very minimal feeding; you really don't need to do any feeding at all until you get them into the bigger tank (bigger, but still pretty small for that bioload...) assuming that the new tank arrives on schedule.

I'd also drop a couple of sponge filters into this tank now, to get a head start on cycling the new tank. Keep all your biomedia for the new set-up; the last thing you need at this point is to wait for a new tank/filter to cycle from scratch.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
50% is a start...but still not enough, especially when your water has already gotten so foul. If you absolutely must keep all those fish in that small volume, you should be thinking about much larger changes at least every other day. Also, very minimal feeding; you really don't need to do any feeding at all until you get them into the bigger tank (bigger, but still pretty small for that bioload...) assuming that the new tank arrives on schedule.

I'd also drop a couple of sponge filters into this tank now, to get a head start on cycling the new tank. Keep all your biomedia for the new set-up; the last thing you need at this point is to wait for a new tank/filter to cycle from scratch.
I agree
if you are going to keep those fish, just as a matter of course every other day water changes should be considered normal.
And even in a 450 gal, I would be doing every other day 50% waiter changes, and that size tank we be outgrown shortly.
I reality you'll need something over 1,000 gallons for those fish.

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
Thank you ! That was the plan I just wanted to make sure I had the right train of thought. I know you can wipe out beneficial bacteria by doing too many water changes. I figured with the water being so foul 40% daily until it stabilizes. I also added an additional filter and fixed the flow on the sunsun 304B

Reactions: tlindsey

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC

Ok thanks, I will be doing 40% daily until it stabilizes and I will do 50 percent every other day until the tank gets here. I have also added another filter and fixed the flow issues on the canister filter. It’s probably at least triple the output. I ordered 3 Fluval F6’s for the 450 so hopefully that’ll suffice for a while. I was going to use part of the filter media from the current set up but I can definitely grab some more sponges and let them soak as well?. Thank you for the help !!

Reactions: Bbuckley

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
I agree
if you are going to keep those fish, just as a matter of course every other day water changes should be considered normal.
And even in a 450 gal, I would be doing every other day 50% waiter changes, and that size tank we be outgrown shortly.
I reality you'll need something over 1,000 gallons for those fish.
Thank you, my plan is to do 50% every 3 days on the 450. I never want this to happen again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store