Hrp breeding

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have a pair from my HRPs, they have dug out a hole/cave under some rocks at the back of the tank.

The female spends most of her time inside the hole/cave, the male chases all other fish out of heir area. Pretty sure they have eggs now.

My lights blew on my tank 2 days ago and I just replaced them today, upon installing the new lights I find one of he HRPs have lodged himself inside a piece of driftwood, I’m assuming he was trying to get away from a hostile chase and thought the hole in the driftwood went all the way through the wood, it did not :-( I am not sure how long he’s been stuck but someone ate most of his tail, I managed to pull him out and he’s still alive, just not in very good shape. Not quite sure if he will pull through or not, I imagine not, in addition to missing most of his tail he is missing a number of scales.

I wish I could see inside the hole/cave to see if the couple do indeed have eggs.

They are under the orange/yellow color rock
AB42C16E-D7B5-4195-A267-390DD663AF74.jpeg EACBC167-E4FC-4484-A347-A3FEED090E0D.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
The hrp who was stuck in the driftwood passed away over night, rip little guy.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
The hrp who was stuck in the driftwood passed away over night, rip little guy.
Thats too bad :( nothing worse then freak things like that taking you fish out. I lost a hybrid syno cat similar to that a while back, only mine involved an intake tube. With any luck though, maybe youll have lots and lots of hrp in a day or two if they did infact spawn

Reactions: Jexnell

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Thats too bad :( nothing worse then freak things like that taking you fish out. I lost a hybrid syno cat similar to that a while back, only mine involved an intake tube. With any luck though, maybe youll have lots and lots of hrp in a day or two if they did infact spawn
Yea it happenes unfortunately, sorry for your loss as well.

I am positive if they don’t have eggs that they will shortly, I’m excited the only fish that ever bred for me before was Betta (I was purposely br ending them) guppies and mollies, so never had a Cichlid spawn for me.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Yea it happenes unfortunately, sorry for your loss as well.

I am positive if they don’t have eggs that they will shortly, I’m excited the only fish that ever bred for me before was Betta (I was purposely br ending them) guppies and mollies, so never had a Cichlid spawn for me.
You picked the right ones to start with thats for sure. They breed almost as easily as common convicts

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I’m not sure how long it takes eggs to hatch but the parents have moved to a different pit in front of their previous spot, I still can see anything and hey are still guarding the area pretty heavily, I’m honking the eggs hatched and they are wrigglers now??
BA6AFF73-A913-45BF-A13F-DA48FDF3A893.jpeg D841E2DF-0EB5-48C3-9E24-DA82B968B63C.jpeg 3B3296CD-50E6-48BA-8381-EBD40FF1DC06.jpeg

Reactions: Jexnell and MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store