huge lump on anal area of female blue dolphin?

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
Hi, i was looking at my blue dolphins and noticed one of them had a large lump this morning and was wondering what it could be? This dolphin is a female and would it be bloat or eggs? i just got back home and now her lump has shrunk to less than half its size this morning. She also seems to be chased alot more by the rest of the dolphins in the tank as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Most likely eggs imo, based on how that looks. Would fit the scenario of it shrinking/receding now. She may have had issues releasing them, causing the swelling. If you see this again next time around, she may have an issue with impacted eggs and I'd add Epsom salt to the tank, wouldn't hurt to do it even now to help her release any leftover, decaying eggs, etc.

I've dealt with this with Cyphotilapia, one of the few health issues they're susceptible to. In their case, it's typically not an infection, some females just have this weakness with releasing eggs-- BUT the eggs can fester and become infected if they stay impacted. Anymore, as soon as I see one of my female kapampa's tubes down I add some extra Epsom salt.

There might be some adjustments you could make with food, water conditions or other things, I don't know all your details, but with Cyphotilapia it's generally a weakness some have that you just have to allow for and adjust to, as above.

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
oh ok i have not seen any sign of mating between her and any of the 3 male dolphins though. She is back to normal now, so does that mean she will less likely be able to spawn if she has this issue? thanks for the information much appreciated thanks.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
oh ok i have not seen any sign of mating between her and any of the 3 male dolphins though. She is back to normal now, so does that mean she will less likely be able to spawn if she has this issue? thanks for the information much appreciated thanks.
If it is an egg impaction problem it depends on the reason for the problem. I did a thread with a good bit of research on this years ago on cyphos.com, but that forum has folded so I've lost those references, can't link to it or go back and review it. So most of this is what I've experienced (or seen) with Cyphotilapia, besides what I remember from my research.

With Cyphotilapia: Among Cyphotilapia females that have trouble releasing eggs, it's typically for undetermined reasons. I did a poll on it with pretty good participation on cyphos.com and it didn't reveal anything, some are just susceptible to it regardless of feeding, reasonable variations in water chemistry among frontkeepers, any of the foods commonly used by members of that site, etc. Probably a genetic component, but some in a group from the same original parents may have an issue and others not. Some suggested that a lack of a good male breeder, whether health, age, temperament or whatever, might be a factor in some cases-- possible, but in some groups members had it was only one or two females with any issue and others in the group had no issues.

If you catch it early enough in a susceptible female, as in knowing a potential spawn is coming or impending, you can still get a spawn from that batch of eggs. Past a certain point the eggs lose viability, at some point they can fester, etc. So past a certain point you're just trying to preserve the health of the female. It can kill females if it gets past a certain point and she can't release the eggs and they become infected, it's not an easy cure. It's not an exact science for a home hobbyist, it's a matter of knowing behavior, being observant, and an ounce of prevention. Some people never have the issue but, since mine have at times, I keep Epsom salt levels higher than I used to for my breeding gourp and I add some extra when I observe pre-spawning behavior, evidence a female's developing eggs, etc. It's made a difference.

People's experience varied somewhat. Some had successful spawns from a certain female before she ever had the issue, sometimes it happened once or twice and then the same fish was okay afterward, some females had a chronic issue with it, some didn't survive beyond one or two incidents-- again, it's hard to cure once it reaches a certain point.

With fish (and some other animals) in general: Among the possible causes can be illness, damage to reproductive organs, a nutritional deficiency, in some species it might be something like wrong water temperature, etc.

One of the best sources I found for people with experience with the problem was goldfish sites, the weird shapes of some goldfish doesn't give them much room inside and makes them susceptible. Sometimes angelfish have an egg impaction issue also, I found stuff on a couple of angelfish sites.

Our experience on cyphos was that Epsom salt is the best treatment and meds don't make much difference, it wasn't that kind of a problem-- until or unless the egg mass become infected and then you're just trying to save your fish. We didn't find any one medication that consistently worked, sometimes Kanamycin, Metro, or a combination, or other meds you might use to treat bloat. On that score, a Malawi cichlid that overfeeds and is over-rounded could have some egg issues also. Certainly, symptoms of bloat could also cause an egg issue.

That's most of what I know. I don't normally use meds for preventive reasons, but I might do a just in case there was a contributing infection treatment in your case, whether with Epsom salt, Metro, etc., or try feeding something like NLS Thera-A or Hex Shield.

Last edited:
Reactions: RD. and deeda

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
If it is an egg impaction problem it depends on the reason for the problem. I did a thread with a good bit of research on this years ago on cyphos.com, but that forum has folded so I've lost those references, can't link to it or go back and review it. So most of this is what I've experienced (or seen) with Cyphotilapia, besides what I remember from my research.

With Cyphotilapia: Among Cyphotilapia females that have trouble releasing eggs, it's typically for undetermined reasons. I did a poll on it with pretty good participation on cyphos.com and it didn't reveal anything, some are just susceptible to it regardless of feeding, reasonable variations in water chemistry among frontkeepers, any of the foods commonly used by members of that site, etc. Probably a genetic component, but some in a group from the same original parents may have an issue and others not. Some suggested that a lack of a good male breeder, whether health, age, temperament or whatever, might be a factor in some cases-- possible, but in some groups members had it was only one or two females with any issue and others in the group had no issues.

If you catch it early enough in a susceptible female, as in knowing a potential spawn is coming or impending, you can still get a spawn from that batch of eggs. Past a certain point the eggs lose viability, at some point they can fester, etc. So past a certain point you're just trying to preserve the health of the female. It can kill females if it gets past a certain point and she can't release the eggs and they become infected, it's not an easy cure. It's not an exact science for a home hobbyist, it's a matter of knowing behavior, being observant, and an ounce of prevention. Some people never have the issue but, since mine have at times, I keep Epsom salt levels higher than I used to for my breeding gourp and I add some extra when I observe pre-spawning behavior, evidence a female's developing eggs, etc. It's made a difference.

People's experience varied somewhat. Some had successful spawns from a certain female before she ever had the issue, sometimes it happened once or twice and then the same fish was okay afterward, some females had a chronic issue with it, some didn't survive beyond one or two incidents-- again, it's hard to cure once it reaches a certain point.

With fish (and some other animals) in general: Among the possible causes can be illness, damage to reproductive organs, a nutritional deficiency, in some species it might be something like wrong water temperature, etc.

One of the best sources I found for people with experience with the problem was goldfish sites, the weird shapes of some goldfish doesn't give them much room inside and makes them susceptible. Sometimes angelfish have an egg impaction issue also, I found stuff on a couple of angelfish sites.

Our experience on cyphos was that Epsom salt is the best treatment and meds don't make much difference, it wasn't that kind of a problem-- until or unless the egg mass become infected and then you're just trying to save your fish. We didn't find any one medication that consistently worked, sometimes Kanamycin, Metro, or a combination, or other meds you might use to treat bloat. On that score, a Malawi cichlid that overfeeds and is over-rounded could have some egg issues also. Certainly, symptoms of bloat could also cause an egg issue.

That's most of what I know. I don't normally use meds for preventive reasons, but I might do a just in case there was a contributing infection treatment in your case, whether with Epsom salt, Metro, etc., or try feeding something like NLS Thera-A or Hex Shield.

Oh wow i never knew all this about the dolphins very interesting and good to know about all the information here. I just looked at my dolphins now and despite them being the largest group 8 of them in the tank 3 males and 5 females, no holding females yet. I got this female with 2 other females that are about the same size, believe they are sisters from the same parents. The 3 males in the tank are also a little bit smaller are brothers as these 3 females are for sure older males are younger. Could they breed this way? would it matter the fact females are a bit larger and older than the males for breeding? Would hate to lose her to this issue she is a beautiful fish she has the darkest blues on her than her 2 sisters, one is mid dark and the other is lighter in color. thanks again for posting and taking the time to answer on this really appreciate it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've only experienced this once over the years with cichlids, it was many years ago when I was breeding L. caeruleus. My goal was to breed a very colorful and vibrant German line bred female that had successfully produced & raised hundreds of fry for me, with my best male F1 lab. In my mind, it was a match made in heaven. This was a lot of years ago, when WC specimens of this species were uber rare in the hobby, and even if you found them they generally sold for $100-125 per. My F1 male was stunning.

The unfortunate irony of that planned breeding was the female absolutely refused to breed with the F1 male, to the point of eventually becoming egg bound, and later dying from that complication. With your males being smaller, it could be that at this point your females are simply not interested in spawning with them.

Reactions: neutrino

Plum7

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
Canada
I've only experienced this once over the years with cichlids, it was many years ago when I was breeding L. caeruleus. My goal was to breed a very colorful and vibrant German line bred female that had successfully produced & raised hundreds of fry for me, with my best male F1 lab. In my mind, it was a match made in heaven. This was a lot of years ago, when WC specimens of this species were uber rare in the hobby, and even if you found them they generally sold for $100-125 per. My F1 male was stunning.

The unfortunate irony of that planned breeding was the female absolutely refused to breed with the F1 male, to the point of eventually becoming egg bound, and later dying from that complication. With your males being smaller, it could be that at this point your females are simply not interested in spawning with them.
that is too bad it didn't work out for you with those 2 specific fish. Yeah i was thinking that too since males are smaller and younger than the females that the combination isn't going to really work. Hoping when the males grow bigger things change. One of the other females she is younger than the males and half the size of them but haven't seen her holding yet and another female is the sister of the 3 males but no interest between her and brothers. They all sort of still swim together and no fighting so thats good. Only from time to time i see the 3 males do slight mouth to mouth biting aggression but they don't hurt each other.

its weird because i got 2 livingstoni cichlids in the same tank with them picked up 2 random ones at the pet store as juvies brought them home to maturity each one ended up being 1 male and 1 female and the female has spawned 2 times within the last month with the male and is yet holding again as of now. Did not plan on breeding them somehow just ended up with 2 that became a pair of all chances lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store