Humidity Concerns!?!?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
What is considered a comfortable humidity level? My handy pygometer here says a %40-50 range is 'comfortable' in a home environment..

HOWEVER - My Question is this; At what humidity level does mold/mildew become a danger?

I run about a 65-70% humidity in the main fish room, and a %50 humidity downstairs.. I have 2 de-humidifiers running, as well as a huge industrial fan for air movement.. There is also a central heating system in constant use..

Should mold be a concern? Will it saturate into the drywall or anything else? What can I do for prevention, or should I be concerned?

Any information would help.. Especially a voucher to show my landlord there is nothing to be concerned about..

(Situation: The wheather gets very cold outside, and the neighbors begin to complain about moisture building up on pipes and windows. Natural occurance, or my fault? We never had this problem above 50 degrees..)

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
they have special paints to prevent mold/mildew from getting in the dry wall its called killz i would use that on the walls

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Hey Miles,

THis humidity issue will be a problem (speaking from experiance here) you will get mold/mildew on and in walls, espcially where there is wood (studs, trim etc.) It can espcially be a problem around (and below) windows and doors from the condensation that forms on them.

De - humidifiers are helpful as is air movement but the best thing that has worked for me is an air exchanger. It will vent your air outside of the building and similtaeneusly (spelling?) pump outside "clean/dryer" air back in. A good air exchanger will transfer most of the temperature from the air being pumped out into the air being pumped in.

Here is a link to a good on being auctioned on ebay, these type exchangers are not going to make you heating bill go way up. They do work!!!!!

Joel

http://cgi.ebay.com/Airiva-Heat-Rec...ryZ20598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Thanks Joel..

Was considering installing some sort of venthilation system in the hole in the wall where the air condition used to be..

I had no idea it would be so damn expensive!

I actually plan on moving out of this building within the next few months.. So I think I will just get by with what I have and hopefully it dos

Once I move out, and let the de-humidifiers run for a while, will that help out at all? I am afraid there is already damage to the floors from a few bad water spills..

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Once everything is dried out any mold should stop. It needs the moisture to grow. My floors are messed up too from water spills, a little warped here and there. Not much you can do about it......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store