Hydrocynus ID

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Looking for help with an ID! I've read every thread and post imaginable on the difference between younger Hydrocynus species, and I'd still like some opinions.
Boss man came across some "African Goliath Tiger Fish" listed on his wholesale spread sheet ~ so he ordered a group of three. However, as I've read plenty about, many ATF species tend to get mixed up at the wholesaler. The two look phenomenal, definitely a noticeable size difference, but they seem to be doing well. (Brevis?) Very aggressive, but I have no idea which species I'm looking at!
The third however seems different. (Goliath?) Much more silver in color, and the tail is more red in person when compared to the other two. It has been separated from the group, as ON ARRIVAL it had been in bad condition with multiple abrasions on its side. Within 48 hours it became infected, and is currently under treatment. Despite its current circumstance it seems active, but definitely much less aggressive than the other two. I don't know if this is just due to current health or personality, as when they were all together it would stray away from the other two and stay more hidden.

Hoping someone can help shed some light on this for me! My experience with ATF is very little, so it would be nice to hear someone else's opinion on the matter.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Perhaps Vittatus or Brevis but the last one is not GATF for sure.

To anyone: If the baby ATF doesn't look exactly like this, it's not GATF.

Look for that very big, pliers-shaped jaws and pointy teeth. Once you know, it couldn't be mistaken.

Reactions: Lobonator

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Thank you both for the responses!
Brevis was what I was thinking for the more silver one. Vittatus seemed like a pretty good answer for the other two. Still can't tell if they're both the same species, they do look pretty similar.
Probably going to stick with the healthier looking ones, instead of waiting for the other to heal. Was looking for a Christmas gift for myself of course! And sure enough these guys showed up.

Jiyowel

ATF Master in Training
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
They all lool brevis for me. Do you have updated pics of them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store