Hydrocynus vittatus my journey towards raising monster of a fish

cal4149

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
india
Hi guys this is now post as to my experience on owning a hydrocynus vittatus

The journey starts ten years back when i just got into the hobby and owned a flowerhorn and then some red bellys . Just going through the net had found some videos of some hydrocynus Goliath and vittatus. This made me completely hooked so much so i had been to every fish store around my state in search the fish i so desired. But to no way avail for the last ten years, but finally had found a person who seemed reliable and after 3 months i have my babies home here are a few images which I'm sharing and will a progress about thier growth and exact diet and care . I am very new to these species and hope to have ur suggestions and valuable inputs regarding their care

The process of selection from my man across the sea
Screenshot_20200109-020927.jpg

Screenshot_20191122-183638.jpg

Finally got the ones i was looking forScreenshot_20200111-115219.jpg

They arriving in my local fish storeScreenshot_20200112-185039.jpg

And they my tankIMG_20200123_195303.jpg

Paired them with a pair of geophagus altifrons,
Eartheater and red head tapajos

These babies some how luv hikari food sticks for carnivore so happy don't hav to use love feeders

Reactions: Magnus_andersson

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Good stuff! That's definitely a vatf, too. ;)

I'm glad your guy is taking carnisticks right out of the bag. (Very) Young ATF actually feed off of floating detritus before switching to their hyper-predatory role at about 2"/5cm. If one can get them to hit something on the surface while they're still at retail size (like you did), the transition is easier because they never need to start eating live. We can take advantage of their juvenile predilection to feed off of the surface, which results in something of a forced neotenous behavioral pattern as they grow.

If they start eating live however, you're in for a problem.... ?

cal4149

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2015
india
Good stuff! That's definitely a vatf, too. ;)

I'm glad your guy is taking carnisticks right out of the bag. (Very) Young ATF actually feed off of floating detritus before switching to their hyper-predatory role at about 2"/5cm. If one can get them to hit something on the surface while they're still at retail size (like you did), the transition is easier because they never need to start eating live. We can take advantage of their juvenile predilection to feed off of the surface, which results in something of a forced neotenous behavioral pattern as they grow.

If they start eating live however, you're in for a problem.... ?
I hope not?? i dont remember exactly where but i read somewhere we could use tinfoils to train them to accepting floating sticks this was my backup plan if things weren't gonna work out

I did notice something very unusual their tails tend to get bright red at times but will mostly remain transparent any reason for this??

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Raised temps during parts of the day? Hungry maybe could make them color up. Never had them so I’m not sure but good luck and hope they keep doing great!

Reactions: cal4149

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I did notice something very unusual their tails tend to get bright red at times but will mostly remain transparent any reason for this??
You've got a bare tank with a blue background. I'd assume lights as well. In this kind of environment, the fish will bleach their colors to try to camouflage themselves. The colors will express when it's dark in the room and they can't see or they're doing something to have them distracted.

To see the colors more regularly, add a dark substrate and a black background.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store