Hypsibarbus sp.

nikirushka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2013
S****horpe, UK
I took these on last year as "redtail tinfoils". Couldn't tell from the posted photos, but as soon as I saw them in person I could see they were actually hypsibarbus.

I can't figure out an ID though! I've been through every description I can find, and none match the lateral line to base of dorsal fin scale count. And while they both have that same count, their body shapes and tails are slightly different (although I wonder if possibly just male and female).

I have a book on the genus somewhere but of course, now I need it, I can't find it ?

Can anyone help? Excuse the slightly different colouration on the last photo - I'd moved the light after I took that one.20220422_144531.jpg20220422_144455.jpg20220422_144349.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I took these on last year as "redtail tinfoils". Couldn't tell from the posted photos, but as soon as I saw them in person I could see they were actually hypsibarbus.

I can't figure out an ID though! I've been through every description I can find, and none match the lateral line to base of dorsal fin scale count. And while they both have that same count, their body shapes and tails are slightly different (although I wonder if possibly just male and female).

I have a book on the genus somewhere but of course, now I need it, I can't find it ?

Can anyone help? Excuse the slightly different colouration on the last photo - I'd moved the light after I took that one.View attachment 1493391View attachment 1493392View attachment 1493393
esoxlucius esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Take what I say with a pinch of salt because i'm far from an expert on these.

Those with the red in them look like the Barbonymus Schwanefeldi tinfoils. But those with the yellow tint in them do look more like Hysibarbus, though which one is not clear, there are loads of similar looking ones within the family.

One of my "tinfoils" developed into, what I thought, was Hysibarbus Wetmorei (the lemonfin barb), but then someone on here saw a picture and thought it looked like some other Hysibarbus sp!

I did a bit of digging and when I saw how many similar looking fish are in the Hysibarbus range, I soon stopped, lol.

Nice fish though!

nikirushka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2013
S****horpe, UK
Yes, the others are indeed b. schwanenfeldiis.

I have no doubt the yellows are hypsibarbus, I've kept them before (that's why I have the book somewhere) but that's as far as I can get! My previous ones were at the time h. wetmorei but the genus has since been reshuffled and more added, with the wetmorei name now assigned to quite a small species (smaller than these are already). My previous ones were 15" TL when I rehomed them, so they were probably the same species as these.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Yes, they look an interesting on with that extended underslung lower jaw and rounded forehead straight into shoulders with no change. Maybe H. malcomi

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store