I’m just finished with cascades I’m just finished.

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
Every time I do a water change on my 180 I need to re prime my Cascade 1500 Canister. Every time I pray that it will prime the first time. 3 quarters of the time I spend hours trying to get the filter to start. Love and I mean love my Fluval FX6. Primes like a little baby.

Any ideas of a good replacement for my Cascade 1500 canister ? I’m finished with Cascades. My other Filter is a Fluval FX6. I can’t pay $340.00 again for a second one.

what should I do with the media of the filter in the mean time?

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I have an fx4 and really love it! You could look for a sale or try to find a used fx6. I'm not sure how big the cascade 1500 is, but for what it's worth, the 405, 406, 407 are also eady to work with. The media I'd just put in the tank for now.

Reactions: dr exum

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
407 is no were near rated for a 180. Cascade 1500 rated at 350GPH.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
If you have any PetSmart near you, you can download the app to play the treat trail game to get coupons, and that can help you save money on another fx6 or fx4.

• Wow
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Love both my FX4 and FX6. Petsmart treat trail helped me get a killer deal on both.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is only one of the reasons I quit using cans.
Beside this, their non-user friendly restrictions to proper cleaning and doing maintenance, seem to prolong use between cleanings, with subsequent build up of gunk that continuously recirculates and spews nitrate back in the tank much more than any properly cleaned filter.
And their actual flow rate is wimpy compared to using a dedicated pump with real power, especially as they clog up with gunk, makes them far inferior to even HOBs, not to mention cost benefit comparison
I have 2 cans sitting idle that came with my current tanks, because I consider them one of the most inferior filtration types, and they will continue to gather dust.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
407 is no were near rated for a 180. Cascade 1500 rated at 350GPH.
When you said your other filter was an fx6 I thought maybe you were running them in tandem on the same tank for extra bio. And the 407 is rated at 383 gph. Seems like the 407 is an equivalent filter to the cascade 1500, and likely better as well.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This is only one of the reasons I quit using cans.
Beside this, their non-user friendly restrictions to proper cleaning and doing maintenance, seem to prolong use between cleanings, with subsequent build up of gunk that continuously recirculates and spews nitrate back in the tank much more than any properly cleaned filter.
And their actual flow rate is wimpy compared to using a dedicated pump with real power, especially as they clog up with gunk, makes them far inferior to even HOBs, not to mention cost benefit comparison
I have 2 cans sitting idle that came with my current tanks, because I consider them one of the most inferior filtration types, and they will continue to gather dust.
This ^ is so true! It wasn't that long ago that the ad copy for canister filters was trumpeting about how rarely you needed to clean them; they were apparently great because they could go for weeks or months without requiring cleaning or maintenance. Imagine that: a filter that doesn't actually remove any waste from your aquarium, but just tucks it away out of sight and out of mind for extended periods and lets it decompose. Compared to virtually any other filter style, it's awkward and difficult for the owner to clean...and the spin doctors manage to make that sound like a benefit!

But apparently, canisters look good. And apparently, this matters to some people. Why else would we see photos of tanks with multiple shiny, polished canisters proudly displayed beneath them, as though it's more important to look at the cool filtration equipment that it is to look at healthy fish?

Reactions: tlindsey

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
Actually Cascades are the only Canister I had problems with. Cascade filter are very cheap Garbage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store