I know I need more but what?

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
So I have been keeping fish for about 8 years and just only got into planted aquarium and bought 2 Amazon swords but I was wondering what I could do plant wise. The tank I'm currently working on is a 60 gallon with an EBA and a polypterus senegalus. I'm open to any suggestions and planning on upgrading my lighting if need be due to the fact I have no clue what the wattage is on the bulbs so I'm basically open to any suggestions and tips on what I can do.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
when in doubt , i probably would recommend t5ho lighting , they can grow almost every plants

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Thank you I'll look into those! Also, any suggestions on the layout would be helpful.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
With T5-HO bulbs you will need a good few plants in there to help keep algae at bay by uusing up extra nutrients and maybe some liquid Co2 such as excel...

If you want to keep it low tech, you can always looking into using T8 or regular T5 bulbs for a low to medium light setup with less demanding plants...

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
My plan mostly with this one is just to get success with a more beginner plant set up with a nice aquascape and then turn one of my smaller tanks (probably the 29 gallon) into a full blown plant take or mostly plant tank. Possibly some rams or just small community fish

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
T
My plan mostly with this one is just to get success with a more beginner plant set up with a nice aquascape and then turn one of my smaller tanks (probably the 29 gallon) into a full blown plant take or mostly plant tank. Possibly some rams or just small community fish
Maybe try some more wood which you can attach plants such as anubias, java fern, and java moss to. These plants are easy to grow, apparently taste bitter to most fish, and since they are attached to the wood, cant be dug up at the roots. If you do go this route, make sure you attach the plants to the driftwood BEFORE filling the tank with water. It's a biotch to attempt it the other way round. Lol, I found that out the hard way which is why Im now on the forum--to learn!! Ive used fishing line and sewing thread to attach them and that's worked well. Good luck.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
What filter have you got on that 60?
It's one of the cheap sun sun's rated at 500gph and it seems to be pushing just about that. Not bad and the tank is pretty understocked anyway. Water is clear and water parameters are good so it seems to be a pretty decent filter for the price other than the plastics are extremely cheaply made.
TMaybe try some more wood which you can attach plants such as anubias, java fern, and java moss to. These plants are easy to grow, apparently taste bitter to most fish, and since they are attached to the wood, cant be dug up at the roots. If you do go this route, make sure you attach the plants to the driftwood BEFORE filling the tank with water. It's a biotch to attempt it the other way round. Lol, I found that out the hard way which is why Im now on the forum--to learn!! Ive used fishing line and sewing thread to attach them and that's worked well. Good luck.
And unfortunately yes it's already filled with water so that may become a problem. But I like the idea of adding some Java moss , African water ferns, and maybe some sort of carpeting plant if it's not too late

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Patience is the key. My main flaw when I first started was expecting too much too soon. Here's an example, since you wanted Java moss. This took two months to grow out. Before & after pics:
image.png image.jpeg

Reactions: Wiggie

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
layout wise as suggested , you can add more bigger driftwood tied with plants , also try to follow the rules of using proper plant ,planting it as a foreground , mid and back , also tidy up your heater and inlet pipe by placing at the sides maybe ,your swords is well placed , by the way whats EBA and the two white stuff on the right bottom ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store