I know this question has been asked many times, but

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
I have 2 Gars Florida Gar and a Longnose Gar. I have owned the Floria Gar for over 2 years. The Longnose Gar for about 3 weeks. I feed them frozen Bloodworms, fresh cooked Shrimp and imitation Crab. The Florida Gar will eat all Three. The Longnose Gar will not eat any of It even when I try to make the food move around. I only once saw the Longnose Gar eat Bloodworms. a few times the Longnose Gar will grab imitation Crab and chew it for a few seconds, but spit it out. The Longnose Gar is very Skinny. Any ideas?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 2 Gars Florida Gar and a Longnose Gar. I have owned the Floria Gar for over 2 years. The Longnose Gar for about 3 weeks. I feed them frozen Bloodworms, fresh cooked Shrimp and imitation Crab. The Florida Gar will eat all Three. The Longnose Gar will not eat any of It even when I try to make the food move around. I only once saw the Longnose Gar eat Bloodworms. a few times the Longnose Gar will grab imitation Crab and chew it for a few seconds, but spit it out. The Longnose Gar is very Skinny. Any ideas?
Try raw uncooked Shrimp or Tilapia pieces. The Longnose is probably wc and may need more time to adjust.

Reactions: dr exum and BIG-G

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
I have tried Catfish nuggets, but both Gars will not even touch it. I will try your suggestions.

Freshwaterfishlover

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2019
I tried raw Shrimp and my Longnose Gar would not eat it. He did however eat Minos and Goldfish. My Stingrays do slightly like Raw Shrimp over Cooked Shrimp, but will eat both.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I tried raw Shrimp and my Longnose Gar would not eat it. He did however eat Minos and Goldfish. My Stingrays do slightly like Raw Shrimp over Cooked Shrimp, but will eat both.
That's good to hear that the Gar ate something. The problem now is the Gar will won't live food and may be difficult to get the Gar off live feeders. You are putting your fish in harm's way if you don't quarantine the live feeders prior to feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store