I may lay off the freeze dried bloodworms...

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
After reading the bloodworm thread something occurred to me. The information about the proteins causing flashing in fish I now suspect may be happening to my parrot Boss. He started scratching sporadically and weird (shooting across the tank suddenly then scratching against a filter). He doesn't have ich or parasites...then it occurred to me this behavior only happened after I gave him freeze dried bloodworms (soaked first). I immediately put in a full dose of stress coat the other night and the flashing stopped and hasn't recurred. My other fish aren't affected but Boss may be sensitive.

Guess I'll leave the bloodworms for the birds this spring. :thumbsdow

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Good idea avoiding it and atleast u were able to figure it out.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Interesting. I never even looked at that post till now.
I feed both freeze dried and frozen bw. Maybe I should start wearing gloves....

Glad you found out why they were flashing.

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
I remember as a kid going to feed my oscars and grabbing frozen bloodowmr cubes for the first time. Broke out in hives and was sneezing uncontrollably. crazy how they can do that.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I use frozen bloodworms, and have to immediately wash my hand or it starts burning my skin with in minutes. It hurts and itches worse then poison ivy if I don't scrub with soap. I don't believe I have ever seen it negatively effect my fish, but again i only use frozen. But man I love hand feeding my flowerhorn. Have enjoyed doing this for the last 18 years and hopefully never have to stop.

Reactions: CarpCharacin
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store