I need help,my fish are acting weird

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
I noticed my Jags acting weird Tuesday afternoon, laying down on the bottom of the tank and not moving, not defending their babies. So I tested my water and my high ph range came back around 8.6, everything else was perfect my regular ph is 6.8. So I did my regular Wednesday water change and put some acid buffer in and the high ph is back to 7.4 and the regular ph is still 7.4 but my Jags are still laying down and sometimes they get up and scratch and they open and shut their mouths real fast like they are choking or something. I have tested my water everyday since and its still fine. My midas and neetroplus that are in there are acting fine so I cant figure out whats going on. Any help is appreciated.

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Test your ph straight out of the tap. Our city did some changes to the water supply and our ph went from 8.4 ph to 7.4 ph which I didn't realize and killed a couple of my Alto comps. Sounds like the ph fluctuation is causing them stress. Some fish are more sensitive to this than others.

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Test your ph straight out of the tap. Our city did some changes to the water supply and our ph went from 8.4 ph to 7.4 ph which I didn't realize and killed a couple of my Alto comps. Sounds like the ph fluctuation is causing them stress. Some fish are more sensitive to this than others.
I did the high ph and the regular ph come out of faucet perfect

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
what makes the high ph go high anyways, I do water changes of 50% every wedsnesday and keep everything clean. I only clean 1 filter every 3 months

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Not sure why your ph would go up, but a way to combat this is to do smaller more frequent water changes. My tap water is 7.4, but I have a tank with driftwood and some soil that lowers ph so it settles down to 6.8. If a do a 50% water change or greater the fish shows signs of stress, labored breathing & flashing so I now do two 25% water changes each week and they show absolutely no signs of stress from this. I didn't really want to get into adding buffers to change the ph and this worked for me. I would let your tank set for a few days so the Jags can adjust to the changes before doing any water changes.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
What do you use for substrate? have you added or changed anything in the tank? Usually Ph will go down over time not up, Usually but not in every case.
Is something buffering the Ph in the tank causing it to go up.

Reactions: tlindsey

MatthewC73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
I have 2 AC 110 and a Fluval fx6 and an airstone other than that all I have in there are rocks. Its not my ph, the ph is 6.8, its my high range ph that was messed up but it is back to 7.4 now but the Jags are acting crazy. They have been up and moving some today but for the most part just laying on the bottom.I do 50% water change every Wedsnesday and it is a 250 gallon tank. I have had multiple tanks since 2008 where I live now, a 55 and a 150 and never had trouble with my water. It has me going crazy.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Ph is Ph. The high range test just covers the higher values in the Ph scale. Even so there should be an overlap between the two test kits.
Okay my next question. How long have you had the Ph test kits? They may not be accurate.
But if the actual Ph value is okay you will need to look else where for the culprit.
Have you did the other tests for ammonia , nitrite, nitrate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store