I need opinions :[

happymidgetpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
Dublin CA
I'm going to be going to college at the end of this year. I recently picked up an Mbu puffer, was extremely excited about getting him, and had plans to build a large enough enclosure to keep the little guy in (8x4x4ft), and been able to feed him and afford the proper filtration and everything. Unfortunately I just found out that the company that my mom works for is going to be locating to another state, and so she will be out of a job. I am most likely going to have to pay for just about all of college by myself now, and will definitely not be able to make the 8x4x4 foot plywood tank that I had been planning to build within the near future, or I'm almost certain not within the next 4 or 5 years. So I am unsure that I would be able to provide the Mbu with the home that I believe he deserves. So my question is, do you think that he would do alright in a 300 gallon tank (or possibly less :( )for the next 4 or 5 years or so? Or do you think that it wouldn't give him a good enough life, or even possibly kill him, and I should sell him to somebody who could provide him that type of enclosure, and just wait until I do have the money to provide the tank and the care that such a large growing puffer requires, before I buy another Mbu? I will be very sad if I do need to sell him, but to me, it is better than having him wind up like so many other people's Mbus (at least from what I have read about peoples' large Mbus either being unhappy and sickly, or dying from being in too cramped of a tank), who could not be provided adequate housing and maintenence.
(Also I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I have just been stressed about this lately, and would like the opinions of more experienced fishkeepers)

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
It is extremely expensive to feed a fish like this. I do not think it is a good idea to keep him in anything less than 300g. Also, I think it is asking a lot for your mom to care for this fish. It willl need massive WC, HUGE amounts of filtration that will need to be cleaned often. There is a guy at my puffer forum that lost his mbu to the last hurricane & is desperately looking for another one:
http://www.**************.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15023

This is the exact reason I highly suggest purchasing a giant species of anything, until you are absolutely sure you have housing ready for it.

happymidgetpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
Dublin CA
Thankyou, but I would not have had her care for it haha, she was going to help me with the cost of college, and if I am having to pay for college myself, I won't be able to care for it as well as I would like to :/
I will see what other peoples' opinions are, but I think most likely I will sell this guy :/

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Ok, gotcha, about the mom part. I still think college is not the place for a fish like this.

happymidgetpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
Dublin CA
Yeah, I think I will get something requiring a smaller tank, a fish that big and that requires that amount of care doesn't seem right at this time :/
Fahakas require a minimum of 120 gallons, and stay quite a bit smaller than mbus, do they have really interesting personalities as well? I love the one this puffer has, quite a bit different than other fish I have owned.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
How long will you be away from the collage in the next 4 years?

happymidgetpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
Dublin CA
Well I would be rooming with a bunch of my friends, so a 150 or 200 is pretty doable, as they are into fish too, and already have said it's fine

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Don't you go home for winter/summer breaks? Plus--you never know anyone until you live with them... things may not go as smoothly with all those roomates as you wish. Take it from an older person who knows & sent 2 girls through college too. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store