I need to be educated on tank size......

Stewey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I know that my questions is dependent on the kind of fish, but for the sake of the question let say I have an Oscar. Is it better to have a tank that has less gallons that is longer or one that has more gallons but is taller?

Thanks and God Bless

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I know that my questions is dependent on the kind of fish, but for the sake of the question let say I have an Oscar. Is it better to have a tank that has less gallons that is longer or one that has more gallons but is taller?

Thanks and God Bless
In general a tank with more surface area and swimming space will be best.
Their are some fish that need tall tanks like angels, but for the most part longer and wider tank will be better than a tall tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stewey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest
Thank you - I appreciate the feedback

In general a tank with more surface area and swimming space will be best.
Their are some fish that need tall tanks like angels, but for the most part longer and wider tank will be better than a tall tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A tank to hold an oscar into adulthood , it should be at least a 6 ft tank.
For large cichlids I always give 10 gallons per inch of adult, and most oscars can reach between 12" and 15 " if taken care of properly, so minimally 125 gallons and up.
Not only because of the territory and space they need, but to help maintain water quality, the smaller the tank, the easier and faster it is for a tank to become filled with fish urine soup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store