I stole it and I'm not sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello Coryloach: Just in case my question got lost in my lengthly post here it is again. (Also anyone else feel free to chime in.)
"So if you are implying you have some moral high ground and therefore are better in tune with human survival and sustainability because of "doing the right thing" by stealing someone else's personal pet, then I have a question. Given there are factually millions of humans starving at this moment and there are also probably even more millions of dogs, cats and other pets (including fish) getting well fed at the same moment, what is the moral thing to do about that?"

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I said it earlier in the thread, but where I live it is a criminal offence to mistreat a pet fish. So your fictional court rules here don't apply, thankfully...
C Coryloach where you live it is also a criminal offence to steal ones personal property. In the case of an alleged mistreated animal you are to report that abuse to the proper authorities - not steal it and keep it for yourself.

BTW - an 8 yr old dog could have died from kidney failure, or any number of other health issues, or was there an autopsy performed that demonstrated the dog died from a broken heart? Sad story for sure, but doesn't prove anything, other than what I said in my initial comment to this discussion, the world is full of dumb asses.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Lots of silly arguments back & forth, but this thread is really about if it is ok to break the law, or not. That is the basic fundamental debate here.

If I release an aquarium fish into a local watershed - is it ok if my intentions are good?

If I keep a species of fish not allowed under State or Provincial law - is it ok if my intentions are good?

If I steal your grandmothers property - is it ok if my intentions are good?

What if granny's property was a fish, in her pond, in her backyard, that you thought was suffering?

Seriously, some of you need to buy a clue. Theft of others peoples property is not something that MFK should be condoning, anymore than any other type of illegal activity.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL islandguy11 islandguy11 Watch out Barrett, someone could have their eye on that 24K gold aro of yours, you better treat it nicely!

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
BTW - an 8 yr old dog could have died from kidney failure, or any number of other health issues, or was there an autopsy performed that demonstrated the dog died from a broken heart? Sad story for sure, but doesn't prove anything, other than what I said in my initial comment to this discussion, the world is full of dumb asses.
Exactly, My 16 year old cat stopped eating days before his end.

Reactions: jaws7777

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
LOL islandguy11 islandguy11 Watch out Barrett, someone could have their eye on that 24K gold aro of yours, you better treat it nicely!
Oh goodness, I hadn't thought of that...maybe instead they'll steal my 13 yr. old daughter who lately has developed quite the attitude, (she's upstairs, fish is downstairs, just sayin').

And I'm just kidding in case the human rights brigade is ready to pounce ;)

Last edited:

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
First I can’t be losing his argument....neither can you. The core of this discussion is based on morality and is being driven by opinions.
Going all the way back to the original posters actions, was she morally wrong? Of course she was and I never said different. However I believe that there are situations where the ends justify the means and this is one of those moments. Did she have other options? Sure. If the situation as described is true the original owner had a moral obligation to care for the fish. He didn’t she resolved it. I’m fine with what she did.

And there is your example. The guy that bought the Betta as described by the OP. Anybody that supports his right to own the fish simply because he has a receipt is supporting the unethical treatment of animals.

Wasn’t trying to sensatioalize anything. Was trying to prove a point and I missed the mark. For that portion I apologize.

Save face??? I literally laughed at that one.

Just read your last post. I have never advocated that. Now who is putting words in others people mouths?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This place went downhill quickly. Keep it civil guys, a lot of this is unrelated.
Spoken to OP in PM, all was sorted out in the work environment. If she would like to clarify that's up to her. Otherwise please keep all slavery and moral dilemmas to PM's or wherever else. This thread is just unnecessary by this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store