I think I have it all covered am I missing anything

turkoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
wi
I have 1 pair of motoro rays the male I have had about 5 months the female about 4 months, they are about 9 and 7 inches round disc and I hope to breed them
I have A 480 gallon aquarium currently am changing 150 gallons A week water conditions are good .
I have A Seneye system so I can keep track of the ammonia amounts
I use A bare bottom tank so I don't have to worry about waste build up in the sand
I use A sump system the pump is rated at 4000 GPH I have the water going into the sump 1st going through the common blue filter pad then 2 white pads the stuff that you get at Michaels and there is actually 2 sets of these
Next is about 8 to 10 gallons of bio balls then the water flow through some sponges to the return side.
On the return side it then flows through 2 poret foam 3" thick about 28" wide 1 which is 20PPI and 1 that is 30PPI
I have 2 Eheim 300 watt heaters that are connected to A Inkbird just incase of A heater malfunction.
In the aquarium itself I have 2 1500GPH circulation pumps at the bottom of the aquarium on the same end that pushes everything to one end of the aquarium so if something doesn't get sucked up in the filter it is all on one end of the aquarium and I can easily net it out.
I have 2 additional 1200GPH circulation pumps 1 at each end near the top with the circulation pointed up to agitate the surface to add more oxygen.
I feed them 2 or 3 night crawlers every morning, then every evening I rotate the food feeding either Talapia fillets, shrimp, smelt or clam strips and I give them A amount of food that they will eat.
I also am raising some snails and cichlids to feed them A occasional live food
I keep the water at 80 degrees
I have tried to feed them Mazuri shark and gel food they do eat it but it seems like they chew on it and it falls apart and A lot of it just ends up floating in the tank
I also just got some Seachem Nourish that I am going to use A syringe to inject the vitamins into the food A couple times A week.
The only thing I am thinking about changing is adding A drip system for my water changes so when I get to the point I want to change 100% of the water or more in A week it will be easily done.
So is there anything I am missing here

Reactions: vader2nd

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Seems like you have it covered...on food, I feed my rays tilapia, scallops, and market shrimp. I mix in some chopped up night crawlers. The rays are growing like weeds on this diet

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
In a year or so when the bioload gets out of control as they grow. Consider swapping out the bio balls for matrix or ceramics. Your biological waste processing capacity will go way up.

Last edited:

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
More surface area by a lot vs. bio balls. Bio balls really work best as a media for a wet dry filter

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Depending on the configuration of your sump I would remove the bio balls, as stated they are better suited to a wet/dry application rather than being constantly submerged. I would replace them with k1 media and tumble. K media is absolutely great stuff once fully mature.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Huge difference. Enormous.

K1 for the win if you can hook a strong air pump.

Even cheap lavarock is better than submerged bioballs. Literally one of the worst submerged media IMO

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Is this the sump while it's running? or pump unplugged?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store