I want to make a sump filter...

Oscarboyz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2006
In the fish section LOL
Ok, before i begin i would like to say that i am new to the sump filter world and have always used hob or canistars on my tanks. That said... I may make a fool of myself.

The reason i would like to make a sump is because i do not have enough clearence behind my tank to add a hob filter and to tell you the truth i dont want to spend $200+ on a good canistar, i hear that sump is the way to go.

I have grasped the basic idea you take a tank or tub and divivde it up to house mechanical and bio filtration with a intake on one side and and outgoing pipe on the other attached to a submersible pump.

now with that said i need help with the overflow, how exactly can i make one myself and how to they work. Do i need a pump in the box to force water down to the sump. Or does it just syphon down into the sump and then travel through the media and back into the tank through a spray bar. I prusume i can make a spay bar out of a pvc pipe with holes drilled in attached to some sort of hosing.

If someone could supply pics of their set ups and the overflow box that would be great, would this idea work?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/wetdry.htm

Oscarboyz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2006
In the fish section LOL
I looked through those there is only one problem i was thinking of making an overflow out of a lee's specimen box. But, i dont have enough clearence on the back of my tank to hang it off its there anyway i can make a sump without an overflow or is there a simple in tank over flow that i can make that doesnt have to be outside the tank?

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Oscarboyz;962291; said:
I looked through those there is only one problem i was thinking of making an overflow out of a lee's specimen box. But, i dont have enough clearence on the back of my tank to hang it off its there anyway i can make a sump without an overflow or is there a simple in tank over flow that i can make that doesnt have to be outside the tank?
Can you build the DIY overflow to hang off the side of the tank?

If you do an in-tank overflow you'll need to drill your tank...and if you don't want it drilled in back because of room you'll need to drill the bottom and that gets into terribly unfamiliar territory for me and I can't help you there.

Good luck though and take some pics and share with us.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You could also consider an Over Head Filter or internal Side Drop as a Wet/Dry filter. What size is your tank? There is also the humble internal power filter if you dont have side or back clearance.

I once used a HOB filter INSIDE my tank. I noticed the motor was sealed and that powerheads are essentially the same thing and they go underwater so I made up a false wall inside the tank to hang it on and away it went..... looked pretty wierd though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store