I want to set up an African Cichlid tank. Any tips?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Another option would be tropheus. 55 is about the minimum tank size you can keep them in- you basically pick a single species and get 15-20 of them, and they live in a big shoal-like colony. Unique behavior and interesting fish to own.
Good info GS, but personally I would never advise anyone to keep tropheus in a 55. Trophs require high quality water with high 02 levels, and due to their aggressive and territorial nature the longer the tank the better, so a 125 is really a much better fit for a beginner to that genus.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good info GS, but personally I would never advise anyone to keep tropheus in a 55. Trophs require high quality water with high 02 levels, and due to their aggressive and territorial nature the longer the tank the better, so a 125 is really a much better fit for a beginner to that genus.
I agree bigger is always better, I have seen thriving colonies in a 55 though. Perhaps you are right for a beginner to cichlids and tropheus, it would be a bit ambitious. The mbuna or other tangs may be better fits.

Reactions: RD.

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
African cichlids can live with each other, but not because they are not aggressive. On the contrary, they are one of the more aggressive varieties of cichlids. Mbunas are smaller than other cichlids, but they are more aggressive. As such because of their size, they do not pose a threat such as Peacocks and Hap cichlids. And if you can reduce the aggressiveness of each cichlid, the better. Putting different colors of cichlids will make them less prone to aggression and conflict.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
African cichlids can live with each other, but not because they are not aggressive. On the contrary, they are one of the more aggressive varieties of cichlids. Mbunas are smaller than other cichlids, but they are more aggressive. As such because of their size, they do not pose a threat to larger cichlids, such as Peacocks and Hap cichlids. And if you can reduce the aggressiveness of each cichlid, the better. Putting different colors of cichlids will make them less prone to aggression and conflict.
This threads from 2 years ago :thumbsup:

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
[QUOTE = "The Masked Shadow, bài đăng: 8367613, thành viên: 177678"]
Chủ đề này từ 2 năm trước : thumbsup:
[/ TRÍCH DẪN]
oh i didn't notice about that :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com