Ich

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Even if you did a big one, there will still be a remanente left. I would think of at least two 50% changes, with floor vacuuming (for any leftover parasite cysts) and then, hopefully done. I am glad your tank responded well to the treatment. Just a bad memory.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Even if you did a big one, there will still be a remanente left. I would think of at least two 50% changes, with floor vacuuming (for any leftover parasite cysts) and then, hopefully done. I am glad your tank responded well to the treatment. Just a bad memory.
Yeah, I’d expect that some would still be left. I usually do 80% so I’d imagine that takes most out. 2 50% makes sense though to keep it slow and not shock anyone.
I’m happy it worked out! Just lost some aponogeton, but I have a feeling the bulbs survived. Definitely an easier go around than when I had ich in my reef tank.

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Have any of you guys tried any of the copper based treatments? I have a new pleco that came in fine and the next day is COVERED in ich. I have a bottle of fritz copper safe on hand that I've had for nearly 6 months but haven't tried. I usually go with a salt dip and then take salinity up in qt but I dunno if this one will make it that long. Never seen a fish get covered that fast. Its In a bare bottom tank that's been around 88 degrees since its last use (6 months) ago. Done a fresh water change and dosed with bb in a bottle before adding the pleco. I know the tank was clean before the fish was added. I've read this stuff is pretty powerful and needs to be around 1 ppm I believe. What worries me is some reviews say that going by the directions or there tank at nearly 4 ppm so possibly it isn't dosed correctly.
Also heard copper will kill off bb in a tank.

Anyone tried this or should I just stick to salt and temp? I can upload pics when I get off work

Thanks

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Have any of you guys tried any of the copper based treatments? I have a new pleco that came in fine and the next day is COVERED in ich. I have a bottle of fritz copper safe on hand that I've had for nearly 6 months but haven't tried. I usually go with a salt dip and then take salinity up in qt but I dunno if this one will make it that long. Never seen a fish get covered that fast. Its In a bare bottom tank that's been around 88 degrees since its last use (6 months) ago. Done a fresh water change and dosed with bb in a bottle before adding the pleco. I know the tank was clean before the fish was added. I've read this stuff is pretty powerful and needs to be around 1 ppm I believe. What worries me is some reviews say that going by the directions or there tank at nearly 4 ppm so possibly it isn't dosed correctly.
Also heard copper will kill off bb in a tank.

Anyone tried this or should I just stick to salt and temp? I can upload pics when I get off work

Thanks
Salt and heat did it for me, but in saltwater I use copper for ich. If not for having scaleless fish I would have considered copper in my past round.
Copper is highly effective, in qt it isn’t a huge concern if the bn makes it or not, as treating disease is issue number 1. I remember when using cupramine the tank was much more concentrated than the bottle said it should be but my royal gramma was fine.
If you are worried I’d just do salt and heat.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store