ICK HELP PLEASE

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
I am new to this and have just got 5 platys and two danios at the moment, we were given them, and they are only in a 20L tank, which I am pretty sure is too small for them, I have worked like crazy over the last three weeks to keep the water safe, and I am just about managing it, until I could afford a new tank to put them in. one of the platys has ich, i cant turn up the heater as it automatically turns off at 25 degrees. I have put salt in the tank, and the platys seems happier to be honest, but the danios i am not so sure about. I just bought a bigger tank to put them in, 200L ...but one ..I dont know if I should move them until they are cured...and two can you tell me if the danios cant take the salt? Would it be better to move them where there is a better water quality, and a heater i can regulate, so less likely to have problems from that point of view? Thank you.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Leave them in the original tank and replace the heater. Seems to be not working. I assume it's 25 degrees Celsius. Don't want to cross contaminate another tank. Just my suggestion.

Danios should take salt.

Switch out the heater and slowly increase temp to 89 degrees Fahrenheit which is 31 degrees Celsius. Add salt keep like this for several weeks even after spots disappear (1 week after).

Add a pump or powerhead to increase water churning and promote oxygen in the water.
Keep ur water changes up and repost ur numbers.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Thank you, the heater i have in the small tank is set to 25, and automatically switches off at that, it has nothing on it to control the temperature. Yes it is Celsius.

There only seems to be one fish affected, but I am presuming that they all are, as the tank is so small.
My logic for moving them to the new tank was that the ammonia levels would be better, and the filter, heater and air pump are more efficient, and easier to control. I dont intend to buy more fish any time soon, so if the new tank became infected hopefully I can get it under control.

my 10 yr old daughter was bought the tank and fish for her birthday by a well meaning friend, and I knew nothing about fish at all, or cycling tanks etc. so they have had to live in it whilst it was cycling. it has been extremely difficult to keep the ammonia levels down, and keep the fish alive, but I have managed so far with almost daily water changes and chemicals to detoxify the ammonia, so far they look pretty happy, even the one with white spot is swimming around happily (by the way, this morning all trace of white spot has gone, so I am guessing treatment is working so far)
Given this info, am I still better to not move them?
Thank you.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
20 litre or 20 gallon?

I would say keep in the small tank to monitor them for now, and all those fish will take salt.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you, the heater i have in the small tank is set to 25, and automatically switches off at that, it has nothing on it to control the temperature. Yes it is Celsius.

There only seems to be one fish affected, but I am presuming that they all are, as the tank is so small.
My logic for moving them to the new tank was that the ammonia levels would be better, and the filter, heater and air pump are more efficient, and easier to control. I dont intend to buy more fish any time soon, so if the new tank became infected hopefully I can get it under control.

my 10 yr old daughter was bought the tank and fish for her birthday by a well meaning friend, and I knew nothing about fish at all, or cycling tanks etc. so they have had to live in it whilst it was cycling. it has been extremely difficult to keep the ammonia levels down, and keep the fish alive, but I have managed so far with almost daily water changes and chemicals to detoxify the ammonia, so far they look pretty happy, even the one with white spot is swimming around happily (by the way, this morning all trace of white spot has gone, so I am guessing treatment is working so far)
Given this info, am I still better to not move them?
Thank you.
I would just leave it in the current tank and cont the water changes. As long as you can manage it and reduce risk of spread. That's the goal.

If it's easier to be managed then do that. Hope it gets better for you!

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Yes it is a 20L tank, with 7 fish in it...that was my problem, I am worried there are too many, I am testing for ammonia daily and changing the water, but I am sure it must be stressing them out...The new tank is 200L and gorgeous!!
I can manage the little tank, just about, I get so stressed though, worrying in case they are not happy, the ammonia levels keep rising...thought fish were supposed to reduce stress!!! :)

The salt seems to be working, as I said, the spots have all gone today, I will keep it up for another couple of weeks just to be sure...Thank you everyone...spent hours and hours reading up on fish, but found so much conflicting advice! xx

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
20 litre or 20 gallon?

I would say keep in the small tank to monitor them for now, and all those fish will take salt.
20L ...I know...having read a lot online I know that is ridiculously small, but to honest it had never occured to me to keep fish until my daughter got the tank and fish as a present!!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
20L ...I know...having read a lot online I know that is ridiculously small, but to honest it had never occured to me to keep fish until my daughter got the tank and fish as a present!!
Well at least you are doing something for them :)

I kept 2 platies and 2 danios in a 20 litre too for a month but they didn't grow at all in 6 months when they were in a larger tank before. I gave them away to a teacher recently.

If you want to do a community in the 200 litre I would say avoid gravel, platies make a lot of solid waste and vaccing it is a pain, sand is much easier to clean IMO. Do you plan on doing more fish with those?

lebroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
At some stage yes, now I have caught the bug...OH!...I already bought gravel, i asked in the aquarium shop which was best and she said either, but sand shows the bits more...lol..

I think we will probably stick to platys and maybe a couple of guppies for now, my daughter likes the platys and they seem to be nice natured fish...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm 15 and have 5 aquariums, 3 permanent, 1 QT and one my brother is using, I know the bug ;)

Make sure to get a gravel vacuum then, otherwise waste build up will create too much nitrate.

Do you know what genders your platies are? For your own sanity i suggest only one gender since the population will explode in your tank :eek:

Guppies are awesome, I got 5 fancy males on Sat actually, wonderful fish apart from one that died after acclimation. Males are the most colourful. I may actually dedicate my 30 litre quarantine to a planted guppy tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store