Ick question

Tristan_44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2018
My tank has ick and I’m going to treat it but I have a marbled crawfish that is pregnant at the moment. I’m just wondering if the ick treatment will have any effect on the babies...?

Tristan_44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2018
I have another tank but it has red devil, red terror, and a Mayan cichlid in it so I’d be giving her a death sentence lol

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have another tank but it has red devil, red terror, and a Mayan cichlid in it so I’d be giving her a death sentence lol

Yes that would be a death sentence. Tbh I don't know if the ich treatment would kill or harm the eggs but personally wouldn't risk it. I would place her in a inexpensive tote from Wal-Mart with a sponge filter or air stone until aquarium is back to normal.

Reactions: Tristan_44

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
best way to treat ICK whether you have sensitive tank mates or not is to crank up the heat, boot the heat to 89 to 94. this speeds up icks life cycle past living. heat needs to stay up for 3 weeks or 2 weeks after not seeing on your fish. The heat will not hurt your fish or cray fish. they just be a bit more active and hungry.

no salt needed.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
picks would be great to know its ICK for sure

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I agree with Greg. Crank the temp up to as high as your fish will tolerate, aerate the tank a bit more, feed lighter, do big water changes with gravel vacs if you can and that parasite should die off and go away.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would "not" use only heat.
There are strains of ick out there now that are unaffected by heat alone, other than speeding up the life cycle.
I would use salt along with heat, bringing the salinity to just above 3ppt (parts per thousand).
To me it is a question of whether all tank residents die or just a few, or one.
Some crawfish come from brackish areas and will not be harmed by a salt treatment, depending on species.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
My tank has ick and I’m going to treat it but I have a marbled crawfish that is pregnant at the moment. I’m just wondering if the ick treatment will have any effect on the babies...?
Depends on the ich treatment, but most of them will kill all invertebrates. So, yeah a lot of ich treatments will do a great job of killing the crayfish and all its babies.

Tristan_44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2018
Thank you everyone. I have had my temp up to 88 degrees and it helped at first but then it just came back stronger. I just put in ick tablets that dissolve and hopefully that will do the trick. I ended up finding a spare ten gallon tank and have my crawfish in there. Didn’t want to risk her loosing her babies or her because They are very hard to find and purchase.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store