ID help please

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How big do they get? Do they get heavily spangled?

Never kept the species but know that they can get large did a little research and some say 11inches while some say 8-20 inches as they mature a beautiful Cichlid and yes will have spangles.☺

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Btw there will be different variations as far as color due to if wc or cb. I think the species in the pick is cb I see them for sale quite often.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you are really interested in Geo Brasiliensis email or call Jeff Rapps at Tangledupincichlids he can assist you especially if you want a wc specimen.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the others, it is one of the Geophagus braziliensus complex, of which there are at least half dozen species.
These can reach at least 12", and are a bit aggressive, especially if kept a warm tropical temps. As the name implies, they come from southern Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina's are not strictly tropical, but more sub-tropical. Some have even been found in brackish water, so are very tolerant of varying water chemistry types
I have kept G braziliensus outside in ponds in Wisconsin in the summer, where they spawned and took temps down in the low 60sF.
I kept my G iporangensis in room temp tanks (unheated) where they also spawned at temps in the high 60sF.
Below are young iporangensis.

great fish to keep, although not a particularly good one for a community setting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store