I'd like to add an eel to my tank

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
My question is, which one. The tank I want to add it to is the Gold Saum and Silver Dollar tank. I've kept a Zig Zag in the past with great success with a CA/SA cichlid tank and the eel was by far my favorite fish in the tank. Very personalable and was eating bloodworms out of my hand.

The closest pet store is over an hour away and it's Petco, they have Tire Tracks which get a bit too big so I'm looking online at Aquabid. Wanting something with personality and that gets a bigger then the Zig Zag if possible. Nice/unique coloration/patterns would be a plus (love the coloration of the Fire Eel for example).

Found the following online:

Burmese Zebra Eel - Macrognathus zebrinus
Orange Spot Eel - Aethiomastacembelus liberiensis
Red Fin Zebra Eel - Macrognathus mekongensis
Starlight Eel - Mastacembelus alboguttatus
Yellow Tail Spiny Eel - Macrognathus pancalus
Zig Zag Eel - Macrognathus circumcinctus

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My question is, which one. The tank I want to add it to is the Gold Saum and Silver Dollar tank. I've kept a Zig Zag in the past with great success with a CA/SA cichlid tank and the eel was by far my favorite fish in the tank. Very personalable and was eating bloodworms out of my hand.

The closest pet store is over an hour away and it's Petco, they have Tire Tracks which get a bit too big so I'm looking online at Aquabid. Wanting something with personality and that gets a bigger then the Zig Zag if possible. Nice/unique coloration/patterns would be a plus (love the coloration of the Fire Eel for example).

Found the following online:

Burmese Zebra Eel - Macrognathus zebrinus
Orange Spot Eel - Aethiomastacembelus liberiensis
Red Fin Zebra Eel - Macrognathus mekongensis
Starlight Eel - Mastacembelus alboguttatus
Yellow Tail Spiny Eel - Macrognathus pancalus
Zig Zag Eel - Macrognathus circumcinctus
SharptoothBass SharptoothBass

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I mean I would say the Zigzag, you have experience and you like them :)

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Get the zebrinus or orange spot eel. Won’t get too big. Manageable and active. Some are shy but most will be active once bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store